Emergency!!!Clown is now just laying near the bottom of tank and breathing very hard!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Claic Yuzolt, Dec 4, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. RL668

RL668 Astrea Snail

OH, yes, don't forget to plan for "surface skimming" by getting water to the sump from the water surface, it can lead to major modification to your present tank.

DEBRIS, DEBRIS should be your major issue as I can see with my limited experience. As I said in previous post, NH3 is not necessary the primary killer but like decades before, when the hobby is still young and knowledge on the basic criteria like flow, lighting and long term sustention of bio-life are immature, fresh water tank techniques are used baically, which unfortunate to see, still exist commonly among new comers.

2. Click Here!

3. RL668

RL668 Astrea Snail

Usually, no. It can be sign of low oxygen or unpreferred differences between levels because of e.g., inappropriate flow condition which can be either too strong or weak. If the fish is jerking, like trying to jump out of water then most likely is sign of low pH or drastic change of water parameters. An air pump can help in most cases.

4. Claic Yuzolt

Claic Yuzolt Bubble Tip Anemone

Here is what my surviving clown looks like this morning. Its more of a power look to its skin not the pimple, grain of sand look that people say ich is. If you could give me your opinion I'd appreciate it.

[​IMG]

5. caliwavsurfer

caliwavsurfer Astrea Snail

judging by the picture it could be Brooklynella. Is there and kind of slime coating visible?

6. Claic Yuzolt

Not that I can see, do you mind explaining Brooklynella? Like where my fish could have gotten it and how to treat? Sorry newb here.

7. caliwavsurfer

since I am also not an expert, the best advice I can give is to do a little research on it...this website explains it well Brooklynella Diagnosis and Treatment

I know that it can be very frustrating sometimes to diagnose a fish illness but keep at it.

8. Click Here!

9. Claic Yuzolt

I just dont know what to do to treat it, my LFS only has the API Fungus Cure for fungus infection but that isn't what the article you linked me to suggested. Also, I can't find how to get rid of it once it is in my tank.

Also, am I fine to put this clown into the hospital tank on the front page as a hospital tank or is that too small?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  10. caliwavsurfer

The problem is...if there isn't a slime coat I would say that it isn't Brooklynella. It could possibly be a bacterial infection in which case Furan-2 could work. I really can't help you further because I've had no success with treating diseased fish. Don't take my word for it because I am not an expert. Try and go to a different fish store (not petco because they don't know anything) and describe the symptoms. Hopefully they'll be able to assist you. Sorry I can't offer any more help. If you clown dies (hopefully he doesn't), don't get a new one for 4-6 weeks because of it is a parasitic ciliated protozoan, it will go through a cylcle before it dies off.

11. Claic Yuzolt

Thank you, does the hospital tank here seem big enough for two clowns? http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a180/ClaicX/DSCF2118.jpg

12. caliwavsurfer

It's big enough for the clown. Make sure that the tank is not in a place with high traffic. That will only stress the fish out even more. Also, it would be good to put a piece of pvc pipe in there so he can hide. BTW, how long has your display tank beem set up?