emerald crab picking on softy help

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Flyariv, Jul 5, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Flyariv

Flyariv Flamingo Tongue

Hello All

check the video , i ciught my emerald crab picking on the sarcophyton coral , i wonder if he damages it or just picking on algae on its tissue...any suggestions ?

2. Click Here!

3. Bob F

Bob F Bristle Worm

I would get him out. I Tried emeralds. Starting bothering my colt coral and every time I moved them they come right back. Looked like eating heads. So into sump they went

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I think he is just eating microscopic algae and detritus and perhaps some of the mucous those coral produce. I have had emerald and shrimp to the same to the base of my Sarcophyton with no ill effects. Your coral looks other wise healthy.

Mr. Bill likes this.
  5. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Agreed. I've had a few emeralds over the years, and the only issue I've experienced was the more mature ones killed large featherdusters and chased fish. As for corals, they just did a great job of keeping them clean.

6. Flyariv

Flyariv Flamingo Tongue

Thx all for revert appreciated , i have quite some bubble algae in my tank and that is the reason i brought that guy, so far he doesnt touch them

Mr. Bill likes this.
  7. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Unfortunately, that doesn't always work out like it was planned. Some emeralds act like it's a delicacy, and others won't touch it at all; it all depends on the individual crab. Hopefully he'll start on it soon, but you might want to start considering plan B -- manual removal.

8. Click Here!

9. proreefer

proreefer Feather Star

that's right Mr.Bill worked with mine what a pain it was.