Elephant Nose and Clown Loaches w/ich

Discussion in 'Fish Disease' started by BaxterS80, Jul 14, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

Hello
    I have a 55 planted tank that has several varities of tetras, as well as a few elephant noses, 3 clown loaches, and a variety of other fish. The problem is that we just noticed that some of the fish are showing signs of ich. We have raised the temp a bit, added aeration, put in a UV sterilizer, and added Kick Ich to the tank. So far none of the scaleless fish appear to have any sign of distress. They are just as active as they have always been and are eating well.

Has anyone here had any experience with ich in a tank with loaches or clown loaches, and if so, what did you do?

2. Click Here!

3. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

Found on a specialty site about elephant noses
    Disease: Elephant noses that catch “ich” will probably die – not from the disease, but from the medication. Use any cure with them very carefully. The Malachite Green in most ich cures will kill them. Malachite harms most “scaleless” fishes.

Also found on the others that they should be in a species tank normally and they both frequently have issues with ich as most saltwater scaleless fish do as well

All I could find, hopefully someone that has more FW experience can chime in, can you give us any info on your setup? filtration, size of the inhabitants, ect?

4. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

i'd just copper it meself

5. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

definitely not going to use copper, it will kill the elephant noses as well as the loaches...We are on day 2 of the Kick Ich, and they seem to be doing a little better...

6. 1st time

1st time Purple Spiny Lobster

I don't know about your elephant nose but my clown loache has been in a aquariam that was treated monthly with copper---he is now over 7'' and very happy.

7. SmittyCoco

SmittyCoco Fire Shrimp

8. Click Here!

9. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

Adding any meds to a planted system is always going to be tricky. I've always used aquari-sol in such situations at 1/3-1/4 doses.

10. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

I've always just added copper - my loaches including clown loaches were fine.