Elegance Help!

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by anpgp, Jun 9, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

I've had my elegance for about 3-4 weeks now. For the first two weeks it was open fully and looked great. Now for the last two weeks it hasn't opened at all. During the day it starts to come out but never does. My params are all in check and have been for the longest time, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate all 0, CA 480, Alk 9 MG 1280. It's sitting on the sand bed in a low flow area. All of my other corals are doing great, SPS, frogspawn, duncans, acans, all growing just fine. Any one have any ideas. Here's a before and after pic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

There's your problem. Elegance corals come from very, very dirty water, and actually require a higher nitrate level than most other commonly kept corals would tolerate (20+ ppm). Also, the water isn't just low flow in their natural habitat, it's nearly still.

To put it in perspective: these guys used to (20+ years ago) be really easy to keep, so much so they were considered the single easiest coral. Then aquarium advances in skimmers, lighting and filtration made them hard to keep, since people didn't have systems that were technologically limited to tailoring for them anymore.

Now a days, they're best in a species tank because of those problems.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  4. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

my elegant is doing the same thing

wow i wish the lfs would have told me that

5. Elliot09

Elliot09 Bristle Worm

My elegance has been in nitrate zero water for about 9 months and is really doing well. It's an australian coral, and I think they have better chances than most? Another thing that may have happened is that crabs have crawled over the colony and damaged it, which happened to my torch a while back.

6. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

It wouldn't be crabs as I don't have any. My hermits went on a snail killing spree so since then I've steered away from them.

7. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

I'd mention that this is very likely to be attributed to the individual coral you own, rather than elegance corals as a whole.

8. Click Here!

9. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

How much flow do you have them in? Mine prefers low flow...I keep my nitrates at 10 in my reef because i've actually noticed better coral growth in that environment...i hear the opposite all the time, but the proof is in the tank..lol :) BTW I have a GBTA, 3 clams, LPS and SPS all in my tank doing terrific in that environment.

10. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

As for flow, there is a little. I mean it waved a little when it was open but it wasn't being blown around. So do you guys think I should turn off my skimmer for awhile and maybe let the nitrates rise a little?

11. Elliot09

Elliot09 Bristle Worm

Yeah, most certainly. I'm from the UK and have never heard of anyone over here having problems with elegance's, must be something different.

12. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

I never knew this about elegance. I always knew that it was considered "hard" to keep but I never knew why.
    Just a thought, try placing it in a more shaded area and make sure that nothing is picking on it esp. members of your CUC.