Elegance coral

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by JohnO, Nov 29, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Need some input on Elegace coral.

The piece I have had has lost a rather large polyp. It has come out of the skeleton cleanly and I found it floating in the tank. Now I know that there has been a lot written and discussed about this coral and it's ability to go terminal in our tanks. It's not something that I haven't experienced before but was wondering if anyone has tried to actually reattach the polyps?

I tried some gel superglue but that didn't work as the polyp is far to slimy, any suggestions, I'm willing to experiment :)

John

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Bummer :( Once an lps coral pops a polyp, there's no reattaching it. Does the rest of the coral look ok?

4. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Yep, the rest looks fine. In fact the polyp that fell out looks great too. I am willing to experiment with it as I have read observations of other people who have seen things like hammer coral multipying via the stinger tentacles. Thought I may as well try :)

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I've actually seen a frogspawn spawn that way but the tentacles tend to slowly stretch to the sandbed before they detach.

My friend Tom had an open brain detach from its skeleton and it did well for about a week before it started to rot away so keep a close eye on that polyp! :)

6. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Yeah I know, I have had Elegance coral do this before. They detach and look fine then slowly degrade :-(

I wonder what would happen if I tried to frag the polyp like you would a mushroom coral?

John

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

My guess is that it would die much quickly :) Maybe you could do a google search using "propogating elegence corals" and see what you come up with?

8. Click Here!

9. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Already did that and there is quite a bit of info but it is all about propogation by breaking the skeleton apart. Oh well the polyp is going to kark it anyway so it's off to surgery with Dr John. I do hope it has insurance :)

John

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Yeah, I figured that's all you'd find but it was worth a shot :)

Have carbon ready in case it does kark it

11. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

No worries with the carbon, I run it nearly all the time. I may just try to get the polyp to stay on the sand somehow so it doesn't move.

John

12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator