Electricity HELP!!! My Power Strip is MELTED!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Cyruskayos, Jan 25, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Cyruskayos

Cyruskayos Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

thanks for the help guys. Honestly, i don't care if it was salt...ill just be way more careful this time. Ill give you pics on what i get at home depot. Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. Crabby Jim

Crabby Jim Sea Dragon

And You Must Replace the receptacle that you are plugging into you must have a three prong receptacle at the minimum a GFCI it better but you can plug a GFCI adapter into a three prong receptacle. You are putting yourself at a serious risk of injury by plugging into that 2 prong receptacle because there is no grounding conductor . Trust me you are talking to a licensed master electrician.

4. Cyruskayos

Cyruskayos Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

thanks....we should be getting a gfci outlet put in. Should be in a day or two. I found out what was leaking. It was the return pump. The little thing that hangs over the glass and pumps the water back in. It had a really small hole in it. I'm returning it today for a new one. I went to home depot and bought a metal 10 plug outlet. It has a metal casing on it. I will take pictures later. It is def. better than the other power strip i had. It is also conceled so water cannot get to it now. Again, thanks for answering all of my dumb questions guys :)

5. Dador

Dador Coral Banded Shrimp

Tangster Is The Bomb!!!!

You Cranky Old Tangster! YOU GOT ME OFF MY A.. to check my electrical I knew needed attention. I admit it I was guilty of overloading. I just ran a dedicated GFI for my lights and a seperate one for my pumps etc. I went to Home Depot and yest spent about $50 on a GFI 4 socket! YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!!! That is much cheaper than loosing my whole house. One of the extension cords was actually getting way too hot for my comfort/ really just not safe. I told my wife about it and that you inspired me to get the electrical corrected. I brought the cord up for her to feel and it was still warm. She says thanks!!!

In all seriousness we should all be doing this right and checking our electric.
    Thanks again! Keep after us!!

6. kFAMOUSK

kFAMOUSK Skunk Shrimp

wow thats kind of scarry im thinking maybee u should remoldel under my tank it looks like pasta with wires i know a couple of times ive spilt water on my power strips.....eek they would sizzle and electricute me a little when i would turn them off

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

:lol:

8. Click Here!

9. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Hey Dador tell the wife you'er welcome :) like I say the Electrical and Plumbing trades are not a hobby :) I see many offering bad advice about what they know little of as aquarium experts..The mix of the two trades in such close proximity can and do kill or destroy lots of property.. I cringe when I see a cord running along a wall and I look and notice them all in a new setting .. It what I did for money . I have one H.D strip on a timer With a electronic 3.A VHO ballast Not a Ice crap and a little 4 inch muffin fan and its totaly out of any water's way .. I installed proper wiring and 4. dual gang receptacle boxes before the tank was set in place .. Not because I wanted to I knew to. and only 2 receptacles per box on a dedicated 12/2 not 14/2 Ga. amp circuit. LOL It makes me sleep better anyways.. I have the M/H on a dedicated 240 V 20 amp circuit and timer and transformers mounted in the basement . But if I made just one listen and look it's worth it to me..

10. djnzlab1

djnzlab1 Aiptasia Anemone

you need a gfci to prevent salt bridge shorts

HI,
    One really bad property of saltwater is that as it dries it leaves a salt residue thats capable of carrying current, it can cause a major meltdown or fire.
    I have GFCI extension cords x2 with all my strips plugged into them the bad is any stray water the powers off, I then unplug every thing and start checking for moisture.
    [​IMG] I found a smaller system at lowes and it was resonable.
    I ve had light swithes get salt bridge, and nearly every possiable cord.
    I don't feel any stray voltage, if there is any the circuit is tripped, this is important as your motors may short one day and you may have a broiled tank.
    If you can afford gfci outlets or power cords you will get nocked on your ass possiably worse someone will find you with your arm in the tank DOA.
    It take a very small amout of current to stop your heart, and the bad is your blood is similar to saltwater and will carry a current to your heart.
    Doug

psps I didn't know how bad it was till I plugged in the GFI and tried to power things up It took me a while to clean every power strip and plug in till there wasn't even a trace of salt on them,
    I now cover everything thats power with some type of moisture protection, you stick your arm in a tank and drip little drops of salt all over anything under you.
    so I moved my power stips under the tanks inside the wood stands and cover eveything with loose plastic bag this may prevent a drop or two from reaching the power strips when you work on your sump/overflow or even those filters you rinse weekly everytime you remove one you may drip saltwater.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2008
  11. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

Now you Got me all worried for my Misses home alone with my tank & loaded up power pionts.
    Its just 2mths all should be good ... fingers crossed
    I took care in my instalations also however it does not take much to rock the boat some times