Electric YELLOW algae!?!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Coral Falconer, Jul 27, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Coral Falconer

Coral Falconer Plankton

Ok everyone, so I have a weird thing going on in my 55g hex reef tank. Along the seams where the glue is there's BRIGHT YELLOW gunk growing! It's the color of a yellow highliter. It only grows on the glue part, nowhere else in the tank. My boyfriend glued it himself (he claims it was with aquarium-type glue) so I'm wondering if whatever is growing is something bad, or some kind of reation to the glue. It's damn near impossible to remove the stuff even with a good scrubber. My tank inhabitants seem to be fine and my snails enjoy the challenge of trying (and failing) to remove the stuff. Could anyone tell me what this is, and how to get rid of it? :confused:

2. Click Here!

3. Pro

Pro Astrea Snail

Don't worry its just some type of algae... I don't know the name of it but, its growing on the silicone of my 4 refugiums.

1 person likes this.
  4. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Maybe its just the way that light reflects throught the glue onto the algae...not really sure. Can you take a picture?

5. serotonin

serotonin Purple Spiny Lobster

I have the same thing going on with the glue that is in my custom sump and fuge. I used the GE silicon I (not GE silicon I* !). Perhaps this stuff provides nutrient (Si) to the algae and that is why it grows there? Just a guess :) !

EDIT: Mine is green though

Last edited: Jul 28, 2006
  6. Coral Falconer

Coral Falconer Plankton

Thanks for the reassurance :) I will try to get a picture of the stuff - gotta find my usb to download.....