Electric Bill ?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Fuzzyfishog, Nov 26, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. liegeofinveracity

liegeofinveracity Coral Banded Shrimp

...the night time... is the right time...
    ouch! i feel your pain, i live in massachusettes and 300 is a low bill,thats all have to say about that!
    uncle sam in his infinite wisdom just put a moratorium on solar panels until an environmental impact study can be completed.. if you can make sense of that you're a much smarter man than i!

2. Click Here!

3. fishoholic

fishoholic Purple Spiny Lobster

For those of us who are married, we should consider are tank extreamly cheap. My wifes good for spending more than $200 a month easily. :-/

4. eggerstout

eggerstout Skunk Shrimp

I also use a load of electricity in my dorm (plasma tv, fish tank, stereo, 2 computers, hard drives running 24/7, ac running 24/7 when it was hot), and lots of water since I make some water for others in town. I probably use 4 times or more energy than a typical dorm room housing 2 people, even when I have a room to myself. I'm going have prepare myself for the high electric bill next year when I'm in an apartment. Electricity is .10 kwh.

5. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

i find it funny that in the one most expensive hobbies we all worry about electric. I would kill a small country off for a bill of 60 bucks a month. I have bills of 300-400 a month and that is on a good month. I heat my house with wood and sweat my balls off in the summer. My solution is to replace everyones roofs with solor panals, then conect them to a grid and run everything off of that. With the kicker of regualr plants I figure we could save our selfs a ton. Now if we could just get the gov. to give us a solor bail out package. I figure if my company gets 100 billion dollars we could have the panals up and running in 2020. ha ha ha

6. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

Running solar panels that store into a storage cell would work, though they are pretty pricey. Another option on solar panels is that it will actually reverse the meter usage and you sell your energy back to the electric company in a form of account credit. During winter months when you don't get much sunlight, your credit will be used and you don't pay a bill, until that credit is used up. That is what I was told by So Cal Edison last year anyway. I wanted to install a system that will store the energy and excess above the capacity will be sold back to Edison, but it was $40k so I have to wait on that with the hard times we are facing. I have to buy the homeless kids toys for Christmas, it's my annual tradition. :)

7. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

I hear in cali they give solor power grants but there is no such item in Illinois. 40k might be worth it if you could pay it off in savings over 10 years or so. But I do understand hard times.

8. Click Here!

9. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I also looked into solar 2 yrs ago to run the whole house and cut my ties with FPL. The estamate was some where around $10,000-$15,000(roughly) but for some odd reason, it wasnt available in my neck of the woods. I also heard of selling back whatever elec. is left over, but I dont know all the details. Luna

10. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

10 - 15k man that is cheep I would sell my first born for that deal. But yea the idea is not so proment in aeras of low sunlight saturation. Out west there are fewer clouds and higher sun light hours. I do think there is some valid thought in that idea though. In essance you could kill 2 bird with one stone. 1. The elecric off the panal would feed your house and also put some into the grid. When clouds or night time fall then you feed off of some minor power plant or even stored power from the day. 2. you get free roofing for your house and if the power company rents your roof then the maintance would be all on them. I am sure there would be some sort of trade off of power consumption to free roofing but I just might work.::)