Electric Bill ?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Fuzzyfishog, Nov 26, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. krodista

krodista Plankton

Ive never had a electric bill higher than $60. I live alone and only use air when I need it. only the tv stays plugged in throughout the day as I dont want it to loose the channels all the time. I do however unplug the computer when it is not in use. For a while I was challenging myself to see how low my bill could go. I never got as far as changing bulbs and such to affect it though. I would like to try some LED bulbs when the technology gets better.

2. Click Here!

3. Fuzzyfishog

Fuzzyfishog Bristle Worm

My basement temp probably hangs around 60 in the winter so it shouldn't be to hard on the heaters ( I hope ) . I'm trying to get most of the noise out of my living room ( skimmer and return pump ) and it will make it a heck of alot easier to do water changes with the sump in the basement . If I could find a way to make the PH quiter when they cycle I would love it . When I go to MH that should add a bit of heat . With the VHO's my chiller would run a couple times a day when the weather got in the 80's and now I will be able to put it in the basement as well .

4. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Then I would get a Dolphin for ReeFlo pump for the return. You should size it large and dial it back if needed.

5. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Lucky you, my bill is so high b/c we're 5 in da house. 2 kids who always have at least one tv running(and no one watching), the Wii and forget to turn off the lights of the bathroom/bedroom b/c they're afraid of the dark. Add a teenager and a wife who needs ALL THE FREAKIN lights on to get dressed in the morning to the equation and walla........a $300 bill. Oh and of course, the tank, A/C running 24/7. Luna

6. ardo_ski

ardo_ski Peppermint Shrimp

Make sure what ever you use for sump insulate it form the floor with blocks or a stand of some type and do not run any PVC along the basement wall if it is an outside wall. I was running dual 175 MH and 2 VHO 90watts over a 50 breeder. Sump was a 100 gallon rubber maid and 50 gallon sand bed tank. If you can elevate your sump higher up than you will not need a that large of a pump.

7. Fuzzyfishog

Fuzzyfishog Bristle Worm

Otty why do you recomend the Dolphin reeflo pump ?
    I was kinda thinking about rasing the sump up on somthing a few feet off the basement floor to save on some of the head pressure . Where did you get the 100 Gallon rubermaid for the sump ?

8. Click Here!

9. ardo_ski

ardo_ski Peppermint Shrimp

The Reeflo pumps use low wattage for thw amount of water they can push. The rubbermaid stock tanks can be found at Tractor Supply stores.

Tractor Supply Company - Stock Tank, 100 gal

10. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

My bill is about $90 right now. That is after changing my 20G light to the 70W HQI from CF. I also added in a 1/5HP chiller to my 150G that runs a 250MH/130CF light. I take care of my dad so he has his gaming PC on about 18/7 too. I have a small modest 1400sqft home. Before my dad moved in, my bill was about $45 a month. I was afraid the chiller and lights would spike my bill, but it hasn't been too bad.

11. R34dawn

R34dawn Ocellaris Clown

I have to say, my cooling bill is more forgiven that the heating one, cooling around $75.00 a month and the heating anywhere from $175.00 to $275.00 depending on how severe the winter gets, this winter could be one of those. we had snow since Halloween!

12. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Thats b/c the heater wastes more elec to turn on the heating elements than compared to the cooling coils. Luna