El Cheepo DIY ATO

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Ruminus, Mar 22, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ruminus

Ruminus Astrea Snail

So, I got tired of topping off my non-sumped 55gal to the tune of a gallon a day. I managed to put together an ATO with a 5 gal bucket, a cooking pot (for height), some air line, a Hydrolifter pump, and a float. Total cost ~ $30, courtesy Amazon and eBay. :cheesy:
    Works like a charm. Off, drip drip drip, off, repeat. Pics to follow shortly.

2. Click Here!

3. Ruminus

Ruminus Astrea Snail

Here's the photos. Inlet to tank, float switch, switch wired into pump power cord, Hydrolifter on top of bucket, and pot under bucket to lift it a few inches. ;D Oh, and that's Gorilla Tape holding the float switch in place.

Attached Files:

4. windowlicker

windowlicker Astrea Snail

Nice DIY

1 person likes this.
  5. Ruminus

Ruminus Astrea Snail

Thank you very much. Oh, and as an update; the Gorilla tape has been replaced with a glob of good ol' tootsie roll epoxy. It's not going anywhere, now!:builder2:

6. salt4me

salt4me Skunk Shrimp

Nice but, I went through 3 of those floats in 9 months roughly. 2 failed in off position and the other failed. I used a 115 volt transformer, spdt relay, and a outlet. I ran low voltage thru float and energized relay. The relay closed and sent 115v to the pump. Normaly those float are low voltage and low amperage. Not being a know it all but if float stuck on it may over heat and cause fire hazard, or shock you if you put your hand in dt.