Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Anthos312, Oct 19, 2010.
Join 3reef now to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.
Can you please provide a picture of the tank and the coral.
I will post pictures tomorrow. One thing i have noticed though, periodically over time, when my Metal Halide is on the tank turns more dirty/yellow looking. Whatever the brown stuff is, it gets far worse the longer my light is on.
Hm, one more reason making me want to quit. Came home last night to find my ocellaris clown halfway sucked into the powerhead dead.... Not sure how much more patience i have for this ill keep trying the RO water but not much is changing...
Leaving the light on for long periods of time will also cause algae to grow. Don't know what kind of filtration (if any) you have or if you have any way to run carbon, but carbon will clear up the yellow looking water.
Leave the mushroom, it's growing!
Honestly, i only keep my 150 W MH on for about 3 hours at most, and i have my 36 W T5 (Non high output) on for about 3-4 hours. So honestly my lighting is definately not that much right now.
The problem is not that the water is yellow. Its the rock, it honestly looks like rust is everywhere covering my rocks. It cant be diatoms, nothing new has been added, its not cyano bacteria, its not dino flaggelates cause there are no bubbles. Whatever it is, its making my corals want to stay closed all day. My clownfish has just died as of last night.
And as far as hte mushroom goes, its not just splitting in half, it has gone from a normal looking mushroom to splitting down one side and looking like a crescent shaped moon.
Why are you running the lights for such a short period of time?
If you are going to keep corals you need some basic requirements.
Quality water RO and or DI. Nothing else will cut it unless you are one of the fortunate ones and have good water from the tap/and or well ( rare).
And quality lighting, your lighting period is not long enough.
Flow, decent powerheads, with some surface agitation.
Enough media to allow the growth of nutrifying bacteria. You should have at least 1- 1.5 lbs of live rock per gal.
Please post a picture of your entire tank.
Im running the light for such short periods because the algae growth is out of control.
I have great flow: 2x Aqueon (125gph), 1x Hydor koralia 1050 gph
I have plenty lighting, 150W Metal Halide.
Plenty of surface agitation since i run a HOB filter (which i clean weekly).
And probably 60 pounds of live rock along with a 2" sand bad.
Trust me, before I moved, this tank was doing great (xenias pulsing and everything). Since i moved home, it just isnt working. I have done my research and been posting plenty on forums and i just cant figure out was going on. I have even been using RO water and i cant see any difference.
You can see pictures here in this similar thread:
Also, as far as CuC goes. I transfered my old CuC over during the tank move, and when everything started going downhill i purchased a new CuC from reef cleaners but whatever is going on with my tank, it makes the snails not even want to come out of their shells. They wont even move on the sand bed and chances are many of them are dead now. Whatever is going on in the tank, its making snails immobile, corals closing, and rusty film all over my LR.
Also if you read prior posts, i go on to say that I have directly noticed the longer my metal halide is on, the quality of the tank looks far worse..
Regardless the corals need more light. As stated in your last thread, it will take weeks and weeks for the algae problem to resolve.
If you are going to go with less light, then do it right and do a total blackout for 4 days. But running the lights for 3-4 each day is going to slowly kill your corals just as fast as the algae will.
Your problem is you used bad water and it is going to take time to resolve. I would run your lights on a normal schedule and manually remove algae as needed, get some phosban.
Been there done this, and read pretty much read everyone of your post regarding this on going issue.
Alright. I will give this one month using RO water to see any changes.
What is phosban? A phosphate remover?
If you advise doing a total blackout for 3 days will make things better, I will.
Can i scrub my rocks down in tank water in a 5 gallon bucket to remove a lot of the algae?
Scrub as much off in a bucket of tank water as possible.
Separate names with a comma.