Unresolved Either diatoms or cyano and CuC ?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Anthos312, Oct 19, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

If possible i am going to pass on the Fish Store. Really overpriced. But i will try B & D aquariums and Clayton Aquariums.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

I also just did a bunch of searching on RO/DI units and understand them pretty well now. I think I am going to do like a 50% water change after I try to find some RO/DI water from some store tomorrow. Depending on how this affects the tank/cleans it up I may have to look into an actual RO/DI unit.

4. Atticus818

Atticus818 Eyelash Blennie

RO stands for reverse osmosis and DI stands for De-Ionization. They both are methods for removing impurities from the water (TDS - Total Dissolved Solids) to make them suitable for marine life. RO uses a membrane which will allow only water molecules to pass through it, thus leaving you with some clean pure water, and a lot more waste water. DI uses ion exchange resins to replace certain ions in the water with other less harmful ones.

To be extremely short winded, the systems are basically a set of filters that clean the water stage after stage, with the final stage typically being the DI. Each stage more water/TDS is rejected with some of the most "pure" filters rejecting up to 98%

5. Atticus818

LOL. You beat me to it. I hope that your tank cleans up nicely with some new water in place. Keep us posted!

P.S. If you do not like mixing your own saltwater, many local fish stores sell pre mixed saltwater that is made from their RO/DI water, and one of the places I suggested may very well do that.

1 person likes this.
  6. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

Will do, thanks for the help everyone. I am eager to see how this RO/DI water affects the tank and if there truly will be changes. I was about ready to just give up...

7. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

Don't give up. there are always solutions. Your problem was basically simple and 3reef just guided you in the right direction. I know what its like to have a small budget to work with but use all the resources you can and you will see there are less expensive options.

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Glad your not giving up :)

Remember it is going to take some time to see the results at least a couple of weeks I would think, but hang in there and I am SURE you will see a change for the better.

And I want to add that Atticus818 really did a bang up job in assisting you. He gets karma for his efforts.

10. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

So theres a safeway around me with bottled distilled water and RO water for 40 cents a gallon i can fill my own containers up with. Can i just use RO water for now or does the DI make such a huge difference?

11. Atticus818

DI will make a difference, but using RO alone you should see some improvement. It all comes down to TDS in the water, the closer to 0 you are the better your tank will look/do. RO will lower the TDS significantly, but not get it to 0 like a RO/DI unit would. I would use the RO you can find until you can get the combination, or invest in a RO/DI system of your own.

12. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

So i have done 2 water changes with RO now and it seems as though my corals are a bit more open. I have noticed a few things:

1. It seems as though the longer my 150W halide is on, the more yellow my tank looks, and the corals close up more. (color temp is 10000k and 5 hours on)

2. My mushroom has split in half, it used to almost be the size of a tennis ball, it started splitting at the mouth and has fully split on one side? Should i take it out or leave it in?