Unresolved Either diatoms or cyano and CuC ?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Anthos312, Oct 19, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rogersjw

rogersjw Skunk Shrimp

Yeah def go with the water. Since you moved the tap water is probably worse in your new house and is showing now in your tank.

I wouldn't scrub your rocks down... Liable to lose a lot of the bio filter.... And it won't help if the water is still bad.

I got my RODI for 100$ online.... Not too expensive... It pumps water out slllooowwwlllyyy, but it does the job I just have to be patient :)

2. Click Here!

3. trijam

trijam Coral Banded Shrimp

Water Depot shops have great deals on RO/DI usually about .50 cents a gal

4. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

There are no walmarts around me, and I dont know what you mean by Water Depots. Would a Home Depot or Lowes have RO/DI water?

5. Atticus818

Atticus818 Eyelash Blennie

Home depot or lowes may have a RO/DI unit. I honesty would pick one up. You seem hesitant about the cost however you wanted a CuC order online, which at minimum for a 40g would be $30 for the CuC plus 35 shipping in most cases. For just a bit more you can get a basic RO unit online from many retailers. Members here may even have them used for sale for as little as 75 bucks shipped. If you don't move to better water somehow, I don't forsee a change in your tanks situation. Tap and well water are often just too crappy for our glass boxes.

P.S Where on earth is there no Walmart? I honesty thought they had basically taken over the US. Lol.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

You can find these Water Depots or similar places outside of most food stores. Most pharmacys carry ro/di as well, even deionized would be better for the tank by far.

You should do a large water change initially and then go back to 10-20% monthly. It will take some time probably a month or more for the problems algaes to dissappear.

Sw is a fairly expensive hobby, but it can also be done successfully on a tight buget as well.

:)

7. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

Anyone from the Seattle Area have any recommendations where to pick this up?

8. Click Here!

9. Indiana Boy

Indiana Boy Coral Banded Shrimp

+1 on RO water. However, i use RO and still have small diatom outbreaks. my tank has been up for 7 weeks. I think its just part of having a new tank. it seems to come and go in my tank. The last time i did a water change i vacuumed alot of mine out.
    i hope this helps

10. Tbstr3

Tbstr3 Skunk Shrimp

i was just having a similar problem and the people around me tell me i didnt have enough CUC whch turned out to be right the guy i deal with suggests 150pc cleanup crew for every 40g of water also not to be mean but if your not willing to spend the money this hobby is not for you i spent at least $2000 to get started and that was starting with a 350.00 MH 29g bio cube tank ive got at least 5 grand or more now with a 55g this hobby can be very expensive buddy

11. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

First of all, you dont know how much money I have invested let alone the size of cleanup crews (Yes plural) I have purchased. I do plenty of research before I buy things (i am not a sporadic 12 year old kid in a store pointing at things and buying them). Secondly, I am very much aware of how expensive this hobby is. And I am not a rich 22 year old so I am doing what I can to make this work because it really interests me.

As far as cleanup crews go, they are not making a difference, I did another reef cleaners purchase last week and the snails havent moved at all. There is something wrong in the tank (I am starting to believe it is my water source). I will keep trying to find some RO/DI water around me and use that to see if there are any changes.

If anyone is around hte seattle area and knows of any locations that would be very much appreciated. I will make some calls tonight about where to find some. Thanks for the help everyone and once I get some RO/DI water I will post with an update.

12. Atticus818

Atticus818 Eyelash Blennie

I am sorry to hear that your newer CuC did not do the trick. I am however glad to hear that you will be trying to make the switch to RO water.

B & D Aquarium
    10402 16th Ave SW, Seattle, WA 98146-1475
    (206) 767-0511 ‎

Have you tried this place? It is primarily freshwater, but any fish store, fresh or marine should have RO/DI water for sale.

Also:

Fish Store
    6109 Roosevelt Way NE, Seattle, WA 98115-6688
    (206) 522-5259

Clayton Aquariums Inc
    1218 3rd Ave, Seattle, WA 98101-3097
    (206) 682-3427 ‎

I am not sure which, if any, are close to your location, but there are some options for the Seattle area.

Good luck,

-Andrew