Unresolved Either diatoms or cyano and CuC ?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Anthos312, Oct 19, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

so i did a tank move a little over a month and a half ago, had a normal small diatom outbreak. Now diatoms are everywhere and i am pretty sure its turning into cyano in some spots also. My Anthelias has literally melted away and everyday i come homethe tank looks dirtier. I have been staying up on water changes.

my question is, my cleanup crew seems virtually non-existent. Do you think the tank move killed them all off? I used to have a very strong CuC from reef cleaners. should i order a new one that will help with the diatoms/cyano?

2. Click Here!

3. drew3

drew3 Blue Ringed Angel

ya try to get some blue legged hermit crabs they do well against cyano bacteria

4. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

i was thinkin mostly nerites/nassarius/dwarf and florida ceriths. I was also going to buy some red and black mangroves to see if that helps with water quality.

5. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

So ive got my cleanup crew for 3 days now. Whatever is going on with my tank is really pissing me off. My cleanup crew hasnt moved one bit since i put them in there and im thinking they arent doing good. I am going to one by one take each rock out of my tank and scrub it down removing the layers of (diatoms/Cyano) because I have tried everything else I know of to make this right.

6. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

What type if water do you use? RODI or tap?

7. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

8. Click Here!

9. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

There you go i just solved your problem! Seems like thats your number one problem....not every one can use tap water! start toping off with RODI water from your LFS....i will be willing to bet it will slowly go away.....better yet do a 50% water change with RODI water ur tanks only 20 gallons and usualy RODI water is 75 cents a gallonish (around here that is) pay the 10 bucks and do it right

10. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

i know your intentions mean well, but its not that easy. First, i havent updated my sig, my tank is 40g. Secondly, i dont have hte type of money to buy a RO/DI system let alone want to. Out of all the LFS around me, I only know of Petco selling water in a 5 gallon bucket for 12 dollars which is a complete ripoff.

11. Atticus818

Atticus818 Eyelash Blennie

Most fish stores sell RO/DI water around here for 25 cents a gallon. Some people even have Walmarts around them that sell RO water. Could try that? Also you can get an RO unit on Ebay or craigslist fairly cheap these days. I don't know what your budget is, but you could always buy a bare bones RO unit and add a DI to it later if you desire. In most cases that would make a huge difference to the TDS in your water, thus reducing algae problems. I would invest in getting better water system in place before spending any money on an expensive CuC.

I do agree though, Petco is a rip off and I have seen that water you mentioned before.

Just my 2 cents though,
    I hope it all turns out for the best!

12. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Walmart ro/di is cheap, a gallon is like 84 cents. You are going to continue to have huge algae problems if you use tap. It is just that black and white.