Eggs taking over my tank!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums' started by CupidofCrime, Mar 13, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CupidofCrime

CupidofCrime Fire Worm

I have 3 mystery snails in my ten gallon FW. I just recently bought the two black ones in hopes of seeing some baby snails, And well it worked! About 4 days ago i noticed a little pink clump in the top of the tank. Last night at around 2:30 am when i went to bed, i checked on the tank and noticed my golden was on the lid of the tank completely out of the water. So i turned on a flashlight and lo and behold a 3 inch egg mass. ;D Anyone want some free Mystery babies? ::)

1st pic is to give some size reference. The Betta is about 2 inches long.
    In the upper left corner of the 2nd pic, you can see the smaller clump, i'm guessing that was from the female black one.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. OnefishTwofish

OnefishTwofish Feather Star

wow!

thats a lot of eggs, and that golden snail is pretty :)

4. CupidofCrime

CupidofCrime Fire Worm

Thanks OneTwo, She went through some hell when i was acclimating my Eel to Brackish, as she made that journey with him. Her shell tells the story, but she's healthy and apparently a momma now ;)

5. OnefishTwofish

OnefishTwofish Feather Star

what species is it? is it actually called a Golden Snail or somesuch? I have such a soft spot for my inverts - she is something I would definitely want in my tank if i came across one with her colors.

if you EVER have baby ones (which i know is usually a rare thing since the eggs get gobbled up) i would definitely love one :)

good luck!

6. CupidofCrime

CupidofCrime Fire Worm

I understand having a soft spot for inverts! They are way too cool. If only i could have 'em in my SW i'd be a happy girl, but alas the eels would eat 'em.

She's a golden mystery snail, I've had her for about 6 months. When i got her, she was the size of the two black ones in the picture. She's about the size of a golf ball now. I got her and the black mysteries for 1.09 each at my LFS. She tolerated the brackish but is doing MUCH better in FW.

i think i should have some babies (if Spartacus doesn't get to 'em first) in about 2 weeks. I could def. ship. but i think i'd be easier to see if you can find in NY. They are super common from what i understand. Now what i REALLY want is an apple snail. They get to be the size of a baseball...way too cool.

7. CupidofCrime

CupidofCrime Fire Worm

Checked in today, and yet another clump, about the size of a dime. That's 4 egg clumps. I'll update when hatched with pics, if they survive!

8. Click Here!

9. CupidofCrime

CupidofCrime Fire Worm

Yet another egg clumo today, again about the size of a nickel. That's 5 egg clumps in less than 2 weeks!:eek: I'm amazed at how often my girls can produce! But alas 2 have fallen in the water and drowned,:-[ so back to 3 clumps. Wish me luck!

10. CupidofCrime

CupidofCrime Fire Worm

Well i saw my first two little babies today. They are so tiny! Both seems to have lighter colored shells so far!

11. CupidofCrime

CupidofCrime Fire Worm

More hatched today, and the egg sack fell into the water, tons o little guys! I'd estimate 50-60 so far.
    And Pics of some of the babies!

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.