Effects Of Too Much Phytoplankton

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Romulox234, Nov 23, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. invert phil

invert phil Millepora

North Yorkshire, England, Europe, Earth, Milkyway,
    It could be too much organics from dieing algal cells, but more than likely bacterial contamination. Forgot to mention that I boiled my water in a kettle before adding the salt to slightly sterilize the procedure also known as semi axenic methods. If the algae you used to start the culture has a lot of bacteria in it it could cause more problems, are you storing it in the fridge? I would smell it to check it is ok, open the top and give it a few seconds then have a smell. if it smells slightly of rotten eggs then it is contaminated.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. Romulox234

Romulox234 Astrea Snail

Alrite ill smell it tommorow its too late now,

It could be any number of things maybe there was too much bubbles, i know it should be 10-15 per sec but on the lowest setting it was going pretty fast, or it could have been the salt water,

Here in San Diego at the Scripps Pier they have a place set up where they take ocean water and filter out all the bad things and decontamonate it and everything and its free to get water from there, most of the people here including me get our water from there and do water changes and thats the water i used for the culutures, it could have been contaminated though,

UPDATE: I smelled the water today and it didnt smell like anything fould, just smelled like the bottle of phyto feast but a little less intense, is that okay or is something still bad if its foaming?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009