Eel Tube

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by casper6482, Mar 2, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. casper6482

casper6482 Plankton

I wanted to make an Eel tube out of PVC pipe and bury it under the sand. It would be 1 inch in diameter and just the elbows would show out of the bottom. My concern is would this trap water and stagnate my water making it unhealthy to the tank?

2. Click Here!

3. turbo4603

turbo4603 Teardrop Maxima Clam

i dont see how it would stagnate! As long as one side is open you should be okay.
    I would recomend you use an acrilyc instead so you can see the eel in the tube!!
    O wait you gonna burry it! Never mind about the acrilyc.

4. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

IMO, I think it would be nicer, and safer if you just let your eel hide where he wants to in your live rock!

5. casper6482

casper6482 Plankton

I'm going to open it at both ends so if he or she wants can swim thru.

I thought it would be a safe home in a tube if it wants to house itself there. I thought that is what eel's liked!!

Any other thoughts on the tube idea?

6. turbo4603

turbo4603 Teardrop Maxima Clam

I think you can place the tube in the tank, and if he choses the rock over the tub, then thats were he should live. If you dont place a tube in your tank, trust us, he will find a place to live!!!

7. BlackWhiteYellow

BlackWhiteYellow Astrea Snail

the eel moving in and out will circulate the water enough. i think its a good thing to have some places like that, whatever their preference they will always have a place to stash their tail.

My eels pick and choose, at night its just under the rock but when the lights come on and that area is well lit, they will retreat to the pvc.

8. Click Here!

9. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I have kept many so called hard to if not impossible corals for yrs with the same concept a pipe cave but I added a air lift and cap at the rear to create a constant water current to bring them food as in the wild and they even got to hang on the top .. But thats not a concern for you.. I see no problem with it.