Educate me? aquafuge.

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by Draco, Mar 20, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Draco

Draco Astrea Snail

I want to add this to my JBJ 28 gal cube

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/aquafuge2-external-hang-on-refugium.html

(of course, there's cheaper ones on Amazon).

I am planning on the medium size if space provides.. but I am not sure what lighting is best.. should I go with the one made for it (~50 bucks), or should I find a different light with a goose neck so I can bend down behind the tank?

What's the best lighting for this.. the lighting spectrum and wattage always has me confused.

Additionally, I can fit my nano protein skimmer in here, right? I don't need to get a new one?

2. Click Here!

3. Draco

Draco Astrea Snail

4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

6500K Is a good spectrum for growing algaes. I was just looking at one of these myself.lol
    The light they supply is great but a little bit of an eyesore imo.Ideally this thing would be great to attach an led light on the back facing forward.You would need less wattage and you wouldn't see it.Some diy necessary.What size will fit??Try looking on youtube for pics or call BRS I am sure they will know.

5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

The problem with cfl's is replacement costs.(bulbs will need to be replaced regularly)They work great for refuges though.

6. Sataly

Sataly Coral Banded Shrimp

To be honest I wouldnt put a aquafuge on any of the aio tanks. The way they're designed and the way the aquafuges are designed don't go hand in hand. I read and seen that it does more harm then good. I.E. collecting detritus in the middle chamber of biocubes because you'd think to put the intake in the 1st chamber. the extra water that flows from the 1st to the 2nd drops off what the fuge doesn't catch. Not to mention the already caught detritus being sucked up and pile up in the fuge. generally they're one of those things to where you can't see it because it's facing the other way so their be no way for you to see how much crap is in there. You'd also probably lose some flow as well perhaps. My opinion would be don't buy this. Do yourself a favor and get a intank rack. You'll be able to get more out of it by having the ability to use chemial and bio filtration. Plus its easier to accsess and cheaper.

7. Draco

Draco Astrea Snail

thanks everyone for the replies :) After further research, I've decided to return the Aquafuge. debating if I want to set up my 9 gal ehiem into a refuge or not.