Ecoxotic LED Lighting

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by sramos1104, Mar 23, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sramos1104

sramos1104 Plankton

Hello -

I am new to saltwater and looking to slowly build a 75 gallon saltwater tank. I bought a used tank, stand, and canopy from craigs list and I am currently refinishing the stand and canopy.

I have researched LED lighting and my LPS recommended the Ecoxotic LED Modules because you can built and customize to your liking. They recommended 4 on each side which means I'm buying 8 at about $100 a piece. Does this sound like a good amount or too much? I'm looking to have fish as well as coral in the 75 gallon tank. Of course, I'm only going to buy coral that don't need more lighting that 8 LED modules can produce but I'm just curious is that's a good amount of lighting.

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

You can find cheaper LED's however like you stated they are more customizable doing this route to get the spectrum and color you desire.

I run 2, ecoxotic par38 bulbs on my tank. :) I do love them and the two bulbs alone give off a great deal of light extra to the aquarium.

4. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Are we talking PAR38s? Personally, I think there are better options (still LED) for the money.

5. fischkid2

fischkid2 Dirty Filter Sock

PAR38s or Panorama fixtures? I have 6 Panoramas on my 56g along with a T5 bulb and a few stunner strips and the lighting is great and corals are happy.
    If your talking 8x Panoramas on your 75g tank you should be set. You may have to put your corals w/more light demand higher up on the rock but most will do fine anywhere in the tank.

6. sramos1104

sramos1104 Plankton

Thanks for all of the advice. They would be the panorama modules (12 watts each). I would then maybe add one or two blue stunner strips for night time. Not sure if it's important but I figure it could add some color.

I think I could find cheaper options but I do like the customization factor and the fact that they do not produce much heat in my canopy.

7. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

For LPS and softies I would say those unfits are worth it. Just dont expect to get great sps growth. Those panorama units do give a good color. The customization of it is pretty neat as well.

8. Click Here!

9. tooconceited

tooconceited Spaghetti Worm

Why not just start with 2 units on each side since you won't be doing coral right away. Then 6-12 months down the line you can add 4 more and they might even be cheaper by then. That way you can just focus on fish for a while and spend your money on those.

10. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

I'm ordering a Ecoxotic Cannon to play with hopefully next week. This might be a good option as well. We shall see.

11. sramos1104

sramos1104 Plankton

I ordered 3 more so I will start with 3 on each side and go from there. Thanks again for the help.

I also really enjoyed reading your blog...good stuff!

12. bobssecrtsn

bobssecrtsn Sea Dragon

hey guys is this ecoxotic leds 1watt each led? or 3?