Ecotech VorTech MP40

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Lunchbox, Sep 15, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Lunchbox

Lunchbox Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Does anyone have any experience with the Ecotech Marine VorTech MP40 ?
    Is one of thease enough for a 150 or should I get two?

2. Click Here!

3. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

I have one on my 30 gallon right now. ;D

It is turned all the way down of course, but I'm pretty sure you'll want 2 (at least) on a 150. I'm putting 2 on my 75 when that gets setup in a few weeks. I'm going 2 if only for the reason that if you only have one even though the amount of flow can vary it's still all going pretty much in one direction, in order to get really good chaotic flow you need something pushing back.

1 person likes this.
  4. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Dude I know has 2 on a 180 and sump return, and that's it. They can send a 1/2 wave or better across the top. I will have one or two on my next tank.

1 person likes this.
  5. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

One should be enough for most things. For SPS, you probably want 2.

1 person likes this.
  6. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I have 1 on my 55 and in reef, lagoon and pulse mode, I have it set to about 90%, meaning that for a few seconds, it will be at 90%, then go down, back up etc. I would definitely do two on a 150, one on either side. Plus, if you have multiple ones, you can syncronize them and have one be a slave to the other so you can really customize your water flow.

1 person likes this.
  7. Lunchbox

It was hard enough to get the wife to OK just one.
    Any ideas on how to convince her I need two ?

8. Click Here!

9. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

1 person likes this.
  10. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

Make sure you do your research. I think you can get much more value from other power heads that wont break. I just seen two people already in the same week having problems with the gen 2 mp40s. Do your research and you will see that 5/10 people are having problems with these power heads

1 person likes this.
  11. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I wouldn't go saying that without some actual proof or evidence. I have not had any problems with mine. I am aware of the issues that exist for some, and most involve a user error or issue. Vortech also has great customer support if you do encounter a problem. If you follow the directions in setting it up, you should have no problems. I think the biggest advantage is getting the actual pump outside the aquarium,e specially if you are running halides.

Now, if the money is a big issue, I would then consider using Korlias or other such power heads. You could probably use 4 Korlia 4s which would cost approximately $200, but you won't have the wave option, unless you buy the controller which will cost another couple hundred dollars, or the customization options that you get with the Vortech. I however, wouldn't buy a Vortech, just to have a Vortech. What you could do is run the Vortech, than just throw another powerhead in there, either one you have or can pick up for relatively cheap.

1 person likes this.
  12. Lunchbox

My current setup is 2 moded Maxi-jet’s and 2 Koralia 4’s and I’m running them with a JBJ Ocean Pulse - QUADRA Wavemaker. The JBJ Wavemaker isn’t the greatest but the price was right FREE. There are several thing I don’t like about my current setup. The hard start of the JBJ Wavemaker beats up the Koralia’s they only seem to last about 1 year before needing to be replaced. The moded Maxi’s sometimes start in reveres and are noisy when they restart. I also hate the way they look in my display tank. I’m looking for a cleaner look. Heats not a big issue I get away with a computer fan in the summer but less heat cant hurt. I have read the reviews and have seen some issues so I called Ecotech to get their take on the problems. They believe most problems can be avoided if you follow the proper setup directions. I was impressed they spent 20 minutes on the phone with me and I don’t even own their product. I think I’ll order one now see how it goes and if everything runs smoothly I’ll order another one in a couple of months.

Thanks everyone