> > > Ecopico Saltwater Build ! !

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by haloist, Apr 13, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. EasyMac

EasyMac Fire Worm

Ok, I dont think my private message is going through since it is not showing in the sent section so I decided to just post here again.

Hey,

I have a quick question! I see that you have a little mini fuge for your EcoPico, what did you use for that fuge? I keep searching for the Aquaclear 70 Fuge but i only find an Aquaclear 70 filter not a fuge (which is more expensive than what you wrote). Did you purchase a filter and modify it? If you have a direct link of what you bought please share!

Also I notieced you wrote that you purchased a Rio 50 Powerhead, I dont see you using it in any of the pictures can you show me how it looks? and the placement?

Thank you so much! It seems like you are having great results with your set up, and I am going to purchase the EcoPico for my girlfriend and I want to replocate your results :)

Thanks again!

2. Click Here!

3. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

To my knowledge there is no such thing as an aquaclear fuge. The ones you see are all mods. Ive done a mod to an AC 70 and it was a great move. Easy modification with great pay off. Just google aquaclear 70 fuge mod and you will find a thread on how to make it.

The tank and documentation on this thread are remarkable. Very good job man. You make having a small reef seem like an easy task. Too bad its really not. Haha. Keep up the great work.

4. haloist

haloist Skunk Shrimp

I'm gonna repost the message here too just in case other people have the same questions!

Hey EasyMac! Sorry for the confusion. I didn't end up buying the Rio Powerhead nor the Aquaclear 70. Some people replace the stock filter with the Rio Powerhead and use the Aquaclear 70 as their fuge (they mod it by taking insides out and replacing it with their desired filter like chaeto) - but, I decided against this setup because it looks too clunky and defeats purpose of the EcoPico's simple design. The stock filter with pump is already enough water flow, so no need for the Rio.

Here's what I have in my setup:

- The EcoPico's Stock Filter + Pump that comes with the EcoPico (included in EcoPico Reef)
    - Marina Internal Filter i25
    Price: $13.00 (Petsmart)

Reason for my setup:
    The stock pump & filter should already generate enough flow for most types of corals and fish (I would place it near the surface of the water so it creates ripples for oxygenation)

The Marina Internal Filter i25 also has a pump, so it's nice to have it on the opposite side of the stock filter to displace the stock filter's flow for better oxygenation. What I did was I took out the filter pad and inserted a clump of chaeto macro algae. (yep, it's that easy - take out pad & insert chaeto) That way, it'll get rid of nuisance algae and provide a place for the copepods to take refuge. I actually had several copepod blooms from this. Since copepods are a sign of a healthy tank, it was a pretty welcoming sight to see a bunch of critters crawling all over my tank.

But, as I suggested before, constant water changes will help A LOT. Also, as a precaution, I would dip all your corals before adding them to your tank.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

:)

5. haloist

haloist Skunk Shrimp

Update 21 In Progress

6. duoc9119

duoc9119 Coral Banded Shrimp

Love the tank! It has come a long way!

Btw how much were those Sexy Shrimp? The only LFS around here that occasionally carry them are $15 a pop.. And they aren't very common here at all.

Those anglers are awesome! I want some but going Lion and Leafs for my tank, maybe a Rhino.

Another LFS has a Spotted Cardinal that was 3 inches long! I was like what the crap that is one big fish.

7. Trustfall990

Trustfall990 Plankton

Awesome Thread!!!

So, I was pretty amazed by this whole thing and bought one myself. It's still in the beginning stages and I want to thank you for all the detail you have put into this thread. It's helped me tremendously. Once I get the free time I'll be posting my own Ecopico Reef thread with pics. I currently have a 55 gallon DT with a 35 gallon sump, but being in the Army we move a lot and I have to downsize :angry:. So hopefully the Ecopico will be easier to take around with me since I can practically load it all into one or two 5gal buckets and be on the road.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  8. Click Here!

9. haloist

haloist Skunk Shrimp

Hey Duoc9119, if you live in SoCal, Seaside Tropical Fish has them sexies for only 12 bucks! They're having a HUGE summer fest sale on July 9 and 10 which takes another 25%-30% off of that... so it'll be around 9 bucks!!! and, i always see them in stock! You should definitely check them out.

Yeah, anglers are pretty awesome. :)

Hey Trustfall990, that's awesome, can't wait to see your EcoPico! It'll definitely be easier to move around. I remember moving my old 10 gallon fish tank and it was pretty difficult because I couldn't cellophane the rim. This one would be a million times easier since you can take it apart and cellophane the top to prevent leaks. Lemme know when you start! :)

10. Jamisentfries

Jamisentfries Plankton

CHRISTINE's SEAHORSE TANK

Hi! New to the website :)

Could you please, PLEASE tell me where you got those AMAZING orange/red staghorns? Are they real or artificial? I have been cycling a tank for about 2 months now preparing for seahorses and am deciding on:

1. black or white sand
    2. real or faux corals/hitches
    3. secondary filter to add in

Currently the only decor is a little live rock and 1/2 of a giant clamshell. (white...although I would LOVE it to grow some purple coralline!) It is a 25 Gallon Tall tank with an HOB/refugium, macroalgae & rock...no skimmer. Simplicity is best for me, I do a 10-15% water change once a week. My yellowtail damsel is living happily in there now...will put her back in my other tank once we get the horsies. :)

Any info/advice would be GREATLY appreciated! :)

ps. the ponies will be either Erectus or Reidi...haven't decided on that one yet either! :)

All the best,
    J

11. Trustfall990

Trustfall990 Plankton

My thread is up... take a look!
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/show-off-your-fish-tanks/ecopico-113217.html

12. AndrewJames

AndrewJames Plankton

Haloist,
    Where did you stash your heater? I know it can't be behind your tank because your fan is behind it haha