ecobak or chemipure + GFO?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by TriggersRule, Nov 28, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

My 3" bed bubbled nitrogen no problem. There is debate as to what DSBs really go bad from. I believe it is from improper maintenance. A proper population of critters can keep it maintained.

2. Click Here!

3. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

So how deep is your bed?

I'm not at all trying to tell you over the internet what you should do with your system... I don't know your system. Depends how deep it is. I would not imagine it would be toxic in 11 months or at all.

Yes hydrogen sulfide is bad, but ... IDK. The tank I bought was a year old. Then I moved it. And yes I disturbed the bed a couple of times since. Nothing bad happened. But again I don't know yours.

My suggestion would be to start in a corner and start small. Take out a little at a time. Turn over the bed a small patch. See what happens. Is there any gas? Does it smell? And again, I would get others opinions about this as well. Don't just take mine.

I had my tank running for two years when I took it down. I sold my sand. Was a little worried about taking it all up. I used my water to stir it all up a few times... ran the skimmer, then stirred it up drained the water and scooped it out. Never was there any rotten smell of any kind. Just the normal fish smell and lots of worms.