ecobak or chemipure + GFO?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by TriggersRule, Nov 28, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TriggersRule

TriggersRule Feather Duster

I'm curious as to which would be better to use for controlling nitrates and phosphates? I intend to run one or the other in a reactor and wanted to get some opinions or thoughts on which be more efficient at reducing nitrates and phosphates?

2. Click Here!

3. libog2fish

libog2fish Fire Shrimp

aquaripure filter addtions is a great piece of equipment to really lower and control your nitrates...
    as for phos...people say that gfo is the main media to run in a reactor...

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

If you are going to only run one go with the GFO as phosphates cause more problems. It will help with nitrates also.

5. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

ecobak probably would work the best out of all of them. but I wouldn't recommend using it in conjunction with GFO as it needs to remove some phosphate at the same time it removes nitrate.

chemipure probably shouldn't even be in the running.

6. TriggersRule

If I go with the GFO I want to run chemi pure as well to help with nitrates, figured they would work well in conjunction with each other.

7. TriggersRule

If I do ecobak it will definitely be run by itself, from what I've read it will lower nitrates and phosphates simultaneously. Have you used it in your tank?

8. Click Here!

9. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

You really need to look at what you need. Why do you need nitrates lowered? Nitrates shoul dbe lowered with proper live rock, sand beds, or even macro algae. Running media to do what nature does best is a waste of money.

Phosphates can be a problem depending on what you have going. GFO is most common but can get expensive. GFO can be run with solid carbon if solid carbon isn't enough.

Bio pellets reduce both if you do not have the system to do both. Yes the bacteria need N and P to grow and one can limit the other. But I have a hard time beliving you have so little Phosphates that you would limit growth running GFO.

In general bio pellets can reduce N and P. However, biopellets do not guarantee you will not also have to run GFO. Depends what your problems are and what you are trying to achieve.

I have always thought chemipure was a waste of money.

10. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

no but I have used NP biopellets(different brand).

11. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

depends on the tank some people have to dose ammonia to remove phosphates with them because they run out of nitrates.

some people that have built up nitrates while they ran GFO before biopellets have the opposite problem.

but you need alot less phosphate then nitrates in the ratio.

12. TriggersRule

Well I have about 150 lbs of live rock in my DT along with at least 130 lbs of sand/crushed coral, I have a 60 gal sump with another 15-20 lbs of live rock and a bm-200p skimmer. One of the the chambers in the sump is a fuge with a 4" DSB containing chaeto, halimada, and mangroves but still my nitrates are constantly high no matter how many water changes I do. I'm sure most of this is due to the fact that I have to feed twice a day for my anthias but also a large portion of my sand is crushed coral which I know now was a mistake to use.

I don't intend to rip out my sand bed or get rid of my anthias so is there really any other option to help lower nitrates and phosphates that I might be overlooking?