Eco-Wheel

Discussion in 'Product Review Archives' started by Matt Rogers, Feb 17, 2002.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Alright, is there anything this won't do?? All without pumps!! Someone please explain this one to me. :-/

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Here is a schematic breakdown:

[​IMG]

Now that is different. I would like to see one in action.

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

While in Chicago this past week I went to Living Sea Aquarium in Park Ridge on Devon and saw an Eco-Wheel in action.... WOW! :eek:

I don't even recall what the aquarium it was on looked like or had in it, because I just stared at that Eco-Wheel moving around and around.

They are basically a giant rotating Algae Turf Scrubber that looks like a bio-wheel with algae all over it. It is fed tank water via an air lift. I am way into the ATS thing right now and I bet this filter would be great and super-saturate the water with Oxygen.

However it is waaaaaay too much money. One setup in the store with that filter was $5,500! OUch! :p

The plumbing was insane too. It had the biggest pipes and bulkheads I have ever seen on an aquarium.

Besides the price, the only other negative thing I can see was it was putting a ton of micro air bubbles in the tank. Maybe with some tuning it would be fine though.

Overall, very cool. :thumbsup1:

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I found some more on this today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Specifications - Model 12

Flowrate (standard)
    gallons per minute 20
    gallons per hour 1,200

Tank Overturn Rate
    minutes 3.8 to 10
    times per hour 16x to 6x

Surge Volume (gallons) 4
    Wet/Dry Media Volume (in3) 936

Algae Scrubber Area (in2) 790

Capacity of Scrubber (gal.) 500
    Actual Footprint of Eco-Wheel System (in2) 390

Electrical Requirements One (1) - 120 V Outlet

Material of Construction

Wheel Grade 1 PVC
    Wheel Tank Acrylic
    Stand and Canopy Oak, Pine, Custom Hardwoods

Dimensions - LxWxH (in)
    Acrylic Wheel Tank 19.25" x 19.25" x 33.25"
    Lighting Two (2) - 96W PQ's

Patents 5,647,983 & 5,755,961 & 6,158,386 and other patents pending

Warranty Limited Lifetime

Last edited: Dec 19, 2006
  6. Trickman2

Trickman2 Bristle Worm

I like the fact that you can use one air pump....Anyone know how that works? I don't think I would ever buy one but maybe I work make my own filter that ran off of one air pump. Any Ideas on how they do that?

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

You know I didn't get a look at the air pump when I was checking this filter in action - wish I did. :p

It has to be a big, strong air pump to lift water up the tube. Do a Internet search for 'aquarium air lifts' for more on the concept.

8. Click Here!

9. Guest

Guest Guest

[quote author=Matt Rogers link=board=Product;num=1014003039;start=0#0 date=02/17/02 at 19:30:38]Alright, is there anything this won't do?? All without pumps!! Someone please explain this one to me. :-/

[​IMG][/quote]
    if you have seen this filter working, are there problems with micro bubles returning into the tank from the filter. Is this a problem for the coral metabolism/ growth?

10. Guest

Guest Guest

I am interested in this system; the concept seems relatively simple. I have read some reports of micro bubble problems on the return to the main aquarium. If you have seen a working system, does this seem like a significant problem and will it cause a concern for coral growth?

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

The system that I saw working did put a lot of micro and not so micro bubbles in the tank. Most of the time this shouldn't be a problem. In fact, the only circumstance I know of that it would be a problem for is if you have sea-horses.

I imagine with a little ingenuity, you could find a solution to the bubbles as others have found with sumps and such.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

I have built one of these units from scratch, the process took a while to figure out but it works great. Including the air pump, a sweetwater linear, it cost me around $700 including the piping.