Eco-Balance and Waste-Away

Discussion in 'DrTim's Aquatics' started by ReefBruh, Aug 16, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

I have been using these products as a tester on my present 225 gallon setup. Maybe it's just my tank but I have to give props for these products.

[​IMG]

I have bio pellets on my system and my nitrates were still around the 10 ppm mark and my phosphates were around the .20 ppm mark. I was even vinegar doing 6 mls a day.
    Let's just say that everything dropped by half. And I stopped carbon dosing. I get my water tested every week only to have the same results( nitrates are 2-5 ppm and phosphate is .08 on average).

I put half of the dosage required for my tank every week alternating product when I do my water change.

I will definitely be going full Dr. Tim's on my new setup even with his NP Active Pearls. Thanks Doc.

Wayne

2. Click Here!

3. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

I too use both products. I have noticed much more micro life across the board in my tanks that I believe is due to the ecobalance, feather dusters and sponges GALORE. And the amount of excess waste locked in my rocks has dropped by probably 75%+ after using waste-away for a few months now. It's unreal how much less detritus is locked in my rocks, I don't even bother dusting with a turkey baster anymore. And my frags seem to heal faster as well. I have mine on a doser and dose each on on alternating days. I really don't know what is the best way to use it, but I knew this would be the only way I would end up with consistent additions.

4. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

I never thought about using a dosed. But do you cut off your skimmer for 12 hours like the directions on the website say? And to clear me you dose each product every day?

5. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

I dose each product every other day, so one or the other is dosed every day. and nothing is dosed on one day.

I have it dosed in line after the skimmer, so I leave the skimmer on and don't worry about it. I don't run any UV. I'm dosing 60ml, so 180ml a week (3 days) of each. I have had it on this method for about 2 months now.

6. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

Oh ok. No bacterial bloom occur doing your method?

7. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Early on, I would get some bacterial snot, but it didn't last long (a week or so only). I think it was more a result of increasing my vodka dosing. I haven't noticed any negatives from doing it this way. I'm not sure if this method is any better or worse than doing it all at once, but I know that I'm getting both in my system on a regular basis by doing it like this.

8. Click Here!

9. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

Thanks for the insight and advice.

10. DrTim

DrTim 3reef Sponsor

Thanks everyone for the kind words! Dosing is a very effective way to go. Dosing a little every two days or so is actually better, based on what I seen and reports from those you have tried it, then pouring in a lot once every two weeks. Just be careful when initially using the products - start with 1/4 to 1/2 dose and work up. Some times things will look worse (cloudy water, more debris) but this the bacteria doing their job at clean stuff up. That's why you want to start with a small dose. Always easier to add more rather then fight a bacteria bloom.

Curious for those dosing - would you be dosing at night? Have you seen the colors of your corals improve?

Cheers all
    DrTim

11. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

Hmm I may have to give the products a try thanks for the post

12. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

It'll be money well spent.