Ebay bulbs

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by sailorguy, Sep 2, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

Just passing on some first hand exsperience with cheap ebay replacement bulbs.I was using 14k pheonix in my 250watt sunpod and was afraid it might be losing it's spectrum as it was almost two years old,so I bought a 20k replacement off ebay.I was thinking 20k might give me more color that I wanted.At first I didn't notice much difference from my old pheonix,but it was okay.Today after about five months of use the ebay bulb crapped out,would not fire.I dug my old pheonix bulb out of the closet put it back in and my tank looks better,bluer and more colorful.

2. Click Here!

3. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

lol you get what you pay for. Ebay bulbs are ify.

4. thereefshack

thereefshack Astrea Snail

Ebay bulbs are junk... I did think so at first. Buy a good bulb and put the two next to each other haha no contest. One of the worst thing I have ever bought... lol

5. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

This seems to be typically the case Sailorguy

many people have experienced short life span on these lamps (various types and brands)
    in addition many have noted that these cheaper lamps tend to lose their color temperature far sooner than the better quality lamps will ( one experienced reefer told me within 3 months the tank went from a subtle blue color to a bright yellow )

Steve