Easiest Clam?

Discussion in 'Clams' started by Brennan, Jan 13, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Brennan

Brennan Gigas Clam

Once my 60g 48x15x17" tank is done cycling and has been stable for awhile could I add a clam? I have a 4x54w T5HO fixture, I would like the clam to be on the sandbed...that would put him about 13inches away from the light. So are there any species that would work?

2. Click Here!

3. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

As long as it is a good fixture with good bulbs, you should be fine with a clam.

I would NOT get a Crocea however. They require the most light and a 4 bulb setup is pushing the limits.

A maxima set high in your rockwork or a deresa on the sand would both work just fine.

4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Ive had a Squamosa and Maxima on the sand bed in my 90 with that fixture for almost a year and they do great. Plenty of light.8) I would be careful putting clams up in the rockwork.They can cause an avalanche and hurt themselves or others.:cry:

5. saints fan 420

saints fan 420 Expensive Colorful Sticks

i would say derasa would be the easiest..they can get away with less light than a crocea or maxima..but derasas get very large but takes years..

6. Travis45

Travis45 Scooter Blennie

A squasy or derasa would be the best fit.

7. Nismo400rgtr

Nismo400rgtr Teardrop Maxima Clam

Squammy might get too large for you depending on your set-up and the space you can provide. Even with 60G's you may find you run out of room sooner than you think ;) ! Derasa are fairly hardy though. Wait at least 6 months after cycle before introducing one and plan ahead,ie.-If you "Know" your getting a clam,don't introduce any livestock into the tank that will be a potential problem ;)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  8. Click Here!

9. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

IMHO..All clams are somewhat easy but derasa being the easiest.

I say all clams are somewhat easy, is becuase all you need is a good light and keep your calc high(they suck it right out) and you should be good. But i recommend a derasa for the easiest.

10. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

11. Brennan

Brennan Gigas Clam

Okay, i like the derasa anyway and I really wanted it to be on the sandbed haha I wouldnt even want a crocea since they live in the rockwork

12. Nismo400rgtr

Nismo400rgtr Teardrop Maxima Clam

I made a mistake. I always confuse the size of the clam species for some reason. Squammy's don't get as large. Derasa's are the second largest clam after T. Gigas. So that's definitely something to consider.