Earthquake!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by reiple, Oct 8, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reiple

reiple Fire Shrimp

How earthquake ready is your tank?

While I was visiting forums and sites in front of my computer I was surprised by a soft up and down jolt in my chair. Quickly looking at my tank the corals were SHAKING! It was an earthquake, rather strong one around 4plus in RS and lasted about a half a minute. This occured twice the past month.
    The last was 4.5 RS and my tank survived. I wonder until when. It's a good thing the stand was over designed I guess. But the tank walls might not be able to stand it for long.

ps. my location - quezon city, philippines. another earthquake and typhoon belt. too bad!

2. Click Here!

3. Speedy

Speedy Fire Shrimp

Man, that really sucks. We don't get earthquakes down here. We only get hurricanes, 4 at a time, and they all hit us on the weekends. It's been one really sucky month for us.

I say since earthquakes are unpredictable, the tank has to be enforced all the time.

I would switch to acrylic if you have a glass tank. Acrylic gives a little, and in my opinion would resist the quakes much better than glass.

The other thing I would do is not only reinforce the stand, but run steel beams along the edges of the tank, with reinforcing design along the back side of the tank, so that it helps keep the tank together.

The other matter of concern with natural disasters is the lack of unnatural energy. Our tanks need electricity. I've got my tank on a UPS ( Uninterupted Power Supply) Last week my power went out for about 3 hours and the tank didn't even feel it. It's supposed to last atleast 6 hrs with lights, filter, and pump. And it lasts 24 hrs with just the filter. I'm also working on a semi affordable solar power system that can be unpacked in case of a power outage and hooked up to the ups to charge the battery packs, in case of an extended outage.

It's better to be prepared than sorry.

4. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Hang in there reiple! Great advice Dave!

5. hoodoo

hoodoo Fire Shrimp

yeah, we lost power twice for about 35 hours with frances and jeanne. I have a couple fresh water tanks (not for long, they'll be salt too soon). I just ignored them completely, and of course they were fine.
    I bought a battery powered air pump when we moved here from NC. That one I used for my 10 gallon tank. It's not great, but a lot better than nothing. And it all went well.

6. oside

oside Astrea Snail

It was recommended to me that I attach the stand to the walls, similar to the water heater safety straps used in homes. I was also told to have a ridge along the top edge of the stand to keep the tank from sliding off the stand during a shake. This is in Southern California, so we do get the occasional terra-flavored jello.
    Matt B

7. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

8. Click Here!

9. somethingfishy

somethingfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

I just bought a generator last week. This is for my tank of course. Only the best for my fish.

10. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Eh, sat thru 4 or 5 decent ones recently while cruzing the net. My tank didn't even think about doing anything. When the Northridge quake (6.8 or close, IIRC) hit, my boss had a facility in LA, just some water on the floor, the riots did more damage then that to the business. No tanks on the ground, nothing bad. The 7.2 quake in 89" that rocked the Bay Area, only tossed a couple inches outa my buddies tank. No earthquake lip, no nothing. Me, myself, I'll stick to securing my stuff :) I can't depend on luck.

11. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Ahhh, a gene :)

Whatchyah get? Please tell!

12. reiple

reiple Fire Shrimp

thanks people. the earthquake was 5 at the rs. some buildings cracked. yikes!

I agree with David and the rest about power. really good tip. ;) too bad about hurricanes. we do get tropical hurricanes in July and August.

good tip too oside. keeping things on the wall. well I just hope things do not get even worst.

;)