Dymax IQ3 vs Fluval Edge 6???

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by sugarbyte, Mar 24, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sugarbyte

sugarbyte Plankton

Hello everyone,
    This is my first post on 3reef!

I can't decide between the dymax IQ3 and the fluval edge 6.
    I've read up on reviews. I've watched a lot of videos..

I was wondering if anyone had any personal experience with either. I would really appreciate to hear what experienced fish keepers have to say about these models.

I do have some experience keeping a freshwater aquarium. Ideally I would like to have a low-maintenance planted aquarium with some shrimp and a male guppy or something.

Thank you for your input! :)

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Welcome to 3reef,

I do not have either system, but my vote goes to the dymax IQ3. I do not like the lid for the Fluval. In saltwater it is very important to have good gas exchange at the surface. The Fluval seems to not provide that. I have seen threads relating modifications of the Fluval, so prehaps google modifications.

4. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

My fluval has good gas exchange now that I added a big fan for the diy led lighting. The design is a PITA to light though and I would not recommend unless you like the design and are willing to do some diy alterations. It definitely isn't for everyone.

5. Corailline

I am curious as to the surface agitation. It seems that any increase in surface movement would deflect from the appearance of the tank. It has a lid correct that makes it appear to be a box of water so to speak?

It is a very aesthetically pleasing design I just would like to more about the functionality, regarding pump placement and lighting.

TIA

6. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

There is no visible surface moment, because the top of the tank is glass and the water goes right up to it. Kind of cool, because you can look down into it,with no water moment to disturb the view.

I don't have a picture handy, but the top cover comes off and there is a chamber where there is the opening into the tank and a chamber behind the tank. The opening into the tank is small, about 9"x5" maybe. However, above this chamber is an open, sort of "mesh" top and in the back part of the chamber is a aquaclear 10 hob filter. Above the opening I have built an led light fixture with a big fan. Once I added the fan the evaporation rate quadrupled. I may just leave the fan on 24x7 ikd yet.

7. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Here, this isn't my picture, I just found it online

[​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

another image you can sort of see the "mesh" top over the cover. Not going to give you tons of gas exchange, but hopefully people aren't putting lots of fish in a 6g..

[​IMG]

10. Corailline

Really nice looking. So system sells for around 110.00 from what I can tell. Do you need to spends tons more to make it SW friendly?

I never noticed the mesh before, that answers one of my concerns.

The edge look is what is so appealing to me.

11. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

I got it on sale at a LFS for $93. The led kit was $65 + about another $20ish for the heatsink and fan. The only other thing I bought was a 50W heater. The HOB if fine for carbon and GFO I think. The lights are tricky though. Not much room for lights. Leds with no optics work well though, but you'd need to build your own. Well, nanotuners sells one, but its over $300 i think, so that was out.

12. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

The Fluval edge looks very sharp (no pun intended). I really like the look of it. That's a good price for it too. :) I think I want one. lol.