Dying Xenia?

Discussion in 'Coral Diseases' started by keliza, Feb 9, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. keliza

keliza Astrea Snail

My xenia normally grow like weeds in my tank but lately they've been not looking so good. They start turning brown at the tips and it slowly works its way down the stalk to the base. Sometimes the base turns white but not always. Usually they get over whatever it is and they're ok, tho what's left is tiny compared to what was there. This only seems to happen in one area of the tank, the rest of the tank is fine and it hasn't affected any other corals. Today I noticed one xenia stalk that was turning brown yesterday is pretty much a pile of goo today and I doubt it will be ok like the rest. What is happening to my xenia and what do I need to do about it? Please help! All params are perfect, I run 2 T5s and 2 VHO T5s. Temp is 84, salinity is .025. I have several mushrooms, a pagoda cup, leather coral, a sun coral, a frogspawn and a sponge in a 120gal tank. The pagoda cup is the closest to this xenia but not touching and none of the other ones are affected.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Temp is at the limit with a value of 84F IMO. While I run my tank on the hot side as well, 84 maybe pushing it.

Xenia has a reputation of crashing for unknown reasons. I have seen declines in mine when I try to run the tank too clean or the pH is too low.

I do not have a pagoda cup presently but some corals can be very aggressive at night.

Hope it turns around for you.

4. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

+1 to the above.

Get your heat down to about 75 SLOWLY, not in a rush at all..My xenia ALWAYS did better at like 75 or 76..I could tell a difference when my tank ran pretty warm at like 82 or so, once i changed it and brought it down to 75 it grew and looked better.

5. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

my xenia just crashed. 8 months of it thriving and starting to take over in my tank. it was beautiful! than one day.... that was it, one piece started to die and slowly over the next three days the rest ...now after a week or so none of its left :( dont have a clue what caused it. :(

i now think i should have cut the one dieing head of xenia off when i seen it start to die. i wonder if that would have saved the rest?

i hope you have better luck.

6. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

I lost alot, then i moved into a 14g biocube..Some piece managed to stay aliive after a tank crash, tank move, bad params for about 2 weeks and being crushed from an acan colony..

Now today it is about a 1" stock..cant wiat to see it in another month.

7. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

good to hear :)