Dying Powder brown!!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by coolridernum1, Jul 14, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. coolridernum1

coolridernum1 Feather Duster

I've been feeding just dried algae for about 2 weeks now...

I have no clue what else i can feed him...

salt level is norm.. As it's the only test i really do..

No pic, but he sits in front of the powerheads and swims like he's mad/dying.

His color is only brown/dark on fins and on the face, his body is yellow/gray and you can see his bones/insides..

I fear i've lost him..

mainly i want to know what type of food he needs....

I feed him almost everyday with the dried algae, and every time i feed him he eats it all very fast,,size per feeding is avg about 4x4in..

Thanks,

Mike

2. Click Here!

3. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

It sounds like he's just starving..
    When I had my powder brown I fed him mysis shrimp along with seaweed and the hair algae in the tank..
    But you need to be doing other tests too..water quality may not have anything to do with this problem, but it's definitely something that should not be overlooked and chances are, monitering it will prevent many future problems

By the way..I also fed mine broccoli a few times and he seemed to enjoy it

4. LVsuckerfish

LVsuckerfish Fire Shrimp

also try adding garlic guard and brightwells vit. M it is a multi vitm for the fishes. see if that helps him eat also.

5. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

They like current Mike.* He's probably just enjoying himself swimming in it.There are many, many balanced foods that can be purchased to supplement the algae sheets.* (Make sure they contain Spirulina).*

6. coolridernum1

coolridernum1 Feather Duster

Update

Looked at tang at about 11am and he looks norm and is back to being brown.

Looked again at 7pm and it seems to be lighter then at 11am and was swimming like he did before, standing in front of the powerhead and then swimming fastly and looking thin, so i fed him again and he ate..

About 1pm today i went to petco and got a mated pair of clowns and a anemone

Clarkii Clown

Condylactus anemone

Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  7. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I dont want to sound rude, but please, PLEASE do research, and SLOW it down. I have a feeling this whole situation is heading towards disaster and you are not going to feel great when its over. :-/

8. Click Here!

9. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

yeah i have to agree with pack..the anemone dooessnn't sound too great..especially since one of your fish may be ill..but since you already have it..start doing a ton of reading

10. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

first thing, stop buying new fish when you think you have a sick dying fish already in your tank (ESPECIALLY a tang) unless you enjoy ich outbreaks. second get yourself some formula 1 flakes, formula 2 pellets, Selcon, and garlic extreme. put a small pinch of flakes and a few pellets into a small tupperware, then add 2-3 drops of the garlic and selcon and let sit for 30 mins, then feed a few times a day until he gets some girth.

~Will.

11. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

Wowsers. Folks let's all remember that there are ways to say things that would be considered CONSTRUCTIVE criticism....thanks, Curt

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2009
  12. Phayes

Phayes Aiptasia Anemone

Looking at your profile, your tank is only 2-3 months old. You have a dying tang.... which is a much easier specimen than any type of anemone.... but you go ahead and buy an anemone not really knowing whats killing your tang to begin with. I think first of all- bring that anemone back to petco (a bad place to buy stuff to begin with), then figure out what it is thats causing the poor health conditions in your tang. Not to mention- figuring out what type of anemone your buying next time helps a great deal as some require rediculous levels of expertise... more than the high level of expertise required for any type of anymone.

Dont buy a "new problem" until you've solved your current one.