dying fish

Discussion in 'Fish Disease' started by zach85, Feb 12, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. zach85

zach85 Plankton

i am new to the hobby. i have recently lost 2 tiger barbs, and getting ready to lose more. they either have swim bladder or nitrite poisoning. they swim unbalenced, wont eat anything, and gasp for air at the surface. all the other fish seem to be doing ok. except a chinese algae eater, who acts a little funny. thanks for any help!

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

How long have you had these tiger barbs? Have you check your nitrates? Water changes lately?

4. zach85

zach85 Plankton

the first 2 i had for about 3 weeks, the 3 that i am getting ready to lose i have had for about 5 days. i have checked my nitrites and did have some. i am using amquel plus to keep them down.

5. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

have you checked your ammonia and nitrite which is much more toxic to the fish than nitrates? Also do you have enough oxygenation/water flow? Do a 50% water change if levels are high. Also check your pH!

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

[quote author=zach85 link=board=Freshwater;num=1108265336;start=0#2 date=02/12/05 at 23:00:26]i have checked my nitrites and did have some. [/quote]

You have nitrites? Or do you mean nitrates?

How often are you feeding them?
    How long did you acclimate the fish?

7. Olyoxenfree

Olyoxenfree Astrea Snail