Dying Devil's Hand?

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by GraviT, Nov 7, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GraviT

GraviT Coral Banded Shrimp

I have a devil's hand leather that was in really nice shape until last week when a rock fell on it. I didn't think it was that big of a deal as I removed it fairly soon after it happened, but it has looked pretty badly all week. It's kinda shriveled and a gray/purple color with no change when the lights go on or off.

I noticed yesterday that it has begun to shed, so I moved it a tad higher in the tank for more light and circulation. However, there seems to be some necrosis of the tissue near the base where there are actually holes developing. I'm wondering how long I should wait for it to recover before I toss it? Should I try fragging the healthy parts, or would that just be a bad idea? I would hate to lose the whole thing...help!! [smiley=huh2.gif]

2. Click Here!

3. GraviT

Ok, due to overwhelming response on this thread ;), I decided to frag the thing. Upon taking it out of the tank, I noticed that more than 1/2 of the coral was dying so I thought I would try to save what I could. I'll let you guys know how it pans out.

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Sorry I missed this thread :(

Hope all goes well with the frags!

5. GraviT

Why thank you! Congrats on the mod position!

Nice avatar btw...wish I could find some candy cane that nice looking!

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Why thank you!

Keep looking! Fletch managed to find one and you might too! :)