Dying Bubble-tipped anemone?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Andrewharrod, Aug 23, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Yellow Tang

Yellow Tang Bubble Tip Anemone

:laugh5:

2. Click Here!

3. Andrewharrod

Andrewharrod Astrea Snail

It's been in the tank around a month now and until a few days ago, seemed to be really thriving. The shop where I bought it did have MH lights though. You used to be able to set your watch by it coming out from behind the rock. That's what first alerted me to something being wrong...

4. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

+1 on the light shock theory. Give it time.
    +1 on it's a good sign that it is stuck to a rock and not rolling or floating around.

Give it time.

1 person likes this.
  5. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

I have never seen them move like that on a daily basis. I have two now because my original split. Neither of them move at night or during the day.

6. Andrewharrod

Ok. Thanks for the advice... My Blue Spotted Tang has taken to 'guarding' the entrance to the cave where the anemone is sheltering. I presume this is nothing more than fish being fish...?

7. Andrewharrod

When I say 'coming out', I mean it was planted on one rock and as soon as my blues came on, it would start to spread out across the top of the rock. It would happily stay there until the MHs went off. Then within half an hour, it would go back behind the rock. It never actually 'moved' as such, just spread out... If that makes sense...?

8. Click Here!

9. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

Anemones do this, it's completely normal. When they are dying, they will have the appearance of melting; their insides will be expelled from its mouth. Anemones are known to color shift, their zooxanthellae will adapot to the color temperature of the lights they are under. Mine will go from 6-7" diameter down to 1" a day after eating. They do that to poop and to expel the waste water in their tissues.

10. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

About an hour after I got home today one of my BTAs decided to do the same thing. My tomato clown always looks really PO'd whenever it does this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It normally looks like this.
    [​IMG]

I think your anemone will be fine.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  11. Andrewharrod

The anemone is still shrivelled up - and we're now entering day four...

12. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

does it respond to touch? Will it stick to your finger if you touch the tentacle? Is it possible to remove the rock it is attached to? Mine is attached to a small rock, so it's not hard to pull it up to the surface of the water for a sniff test. If the anemone is dying, it will smell foul, like rotten fish gone bad. If you have a turkey baster, blow some water into its face and mouth. Sometimes getting fresh saltwater into its mouth will get it to perk it up.