Dying Bubble-tipped anemone?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Andrewharrod, Aug 23, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Andrewharrod

Andrewharrod Astrea Snail

I posted a couple of days ago because I was worried about my bubble-tipped anemone and its apparent lack of bubbles... Since my initial concern, things seem to have taken a turn for the worse. The anemone has retreated behind a rock and pretty much every tentacle has vanished. The bits I can see protruding have orange tips but are largely now a dark shade of green. I have been offered various explanations - from it going into hiding while it 'divides itself into two', to simply expelling crap; to dying... So as you'll appreciate, I'm a bit confused... Most have said leave it a day or two longer but the last thing I want is for it to die. Whilst I have a 120 gallon tank - and been told the consequences of it dying would be less severe - I'm clearly concerned about the possibility of it poisoning the rest of the livestock. My gut feeling is that it is dying but what does anyone else think? The water doesn't smell and because of its location, I'm loathe to move the rocks around to get to it unless I have to...

2. Click Here!

3. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

Hard to say Andrew. Mine has, on occasion, decided to pick up and move for no apparent reason. In my case, however, it had been in my tank for well over a year. When mine moved it didn't split. It eventually let go of the rock so I put it back where it was. It anchored fine but moved again about a week later. Again, it let go from the rock so I put it back. This time it stayed but did split about a month later. I noticed it had split the day after I did a water change. It didn't hide before splitting.

I'm a little more worried in your case since it is new in your tank. I can't remember what type of lighting you had but it may want more light. You may also want to try feeding it a small piece of raw shrimp to see if the tentacles grab it. Don't overdo it though. My guess is that if it doesn't eat it is on its way out.

I'm not sure what you mean by the tentacles disappearing though. I've never seen that. I've seen the tentacles thin down to very fine tentacles as the anemone deflates itself but I've never seen the tentacles disappear. If the tentacles are falling off I doubt it will recover.

4. Andrewharrod

I've got Metal Halide lighting. The best description I can give is that all the tentacles seem stuffed inside, with only about an inch protruding. The first half is green, the outer half is orange. I've just shuffled the rock and it seems well stuck to it. It won't budge... I haven't seen any tentacles falling off. Can't say I've seen any of the 'poop' stuff coming from its mouth either though...

5. Andrewharrod

6. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

That picture is not as bad as I expected. It looks like it is just expelling its old water. It should re-inflate soon. When mine has done this it stayed in the deflated state for only about half a day or so.

Don't try moving it if it is attached.

Keep an eye on it.

1 person likes this.
  7. Andrewharrod

Thanks... Got up this morning and it looks a bit healthier but it has been in the retracted state for at least 24 hours now. Hopefully it'll be Ok.

8. Click Here!

9. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

Hey - it looks like its changing colour and becoming a red bubble tip. They generally sell for more too :)

1 person likes this.
  10. Andrewharrod

It's still in the retracted state - that's two days now...

11. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

But it's sticking and not just loose in the tank. Thats a good sign, even if it's the only sign.

12. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

It might have some shock if it wasnt under Metal Halides before...did you light acclimate it? A lot of fish stores dont have good if any light on their anems and just exposing it to MH from nothing might make it move and freak out like it is...mine kinda did the same thing when I went from PCs to t5s...but now is just as happy as anything...btw mine went from pink to bright green when put under the t5...i'd say just give it time..it may be trying to adjust to the strong light.