Dying Anemone?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Heather Carver, Apr 23, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Heather Carver

Heather Carver Astrea Snail

Hi Everyone!
    A few weeks ago I purchased a Bubble Tip Anemone. This is my first anemone. I did everything that you are supposed to, have good lighting, make sure your water parameters are great and wait at least 6 months before adding one. This morning my anemone was fine. It was open. When feeding my fish a few minutes ago I noticed that my anemone was closed up. I'm not sure if it's dying or digesting. The employee at my local pet store told me that when you feed them they tend to close up and look like their dying and will open up a few days later. I did feed him brine shrimp yesterday. Please help!

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

A couple things to look for:

Tentacles being shed, usually a bad sign.

The mouth hanging open.

Mine will hang there looking like a wilted flower after it eats sometimes but has closed up like yours in the past. Keep an eye out for the things listed above and you will have to just wait it out and see how things develop.

Vinnyboombatz and Mr. Bill like this.
  4. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

+1

Looks normal to me. Nems tend to change size and shape, and to close periodically. As stated, shedding tentacles, drooping mouth, or loosing it's footing are bad signs.

Vinnyboombatz likes this.
  5. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

If I had a penny for everytime my bta has shrunk and looked like it was dying off, I would have at least one dollar...

DSC reef and Mr. Bill like this.
  6. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

it looks good as far as color and attached, both good signs. Sounds like you were very conscientious about doing things right! I wouldn't feed it again for at least a week (I feed mine about 1 x per week or every other week) - they don't have to be fed but I believe it's good for them. Expanding and contracting is very common - mine usually deflates when lights are off and then opens back up when lights come on.

DSC reef and Mr. Bill like this.