Dwarf/Pygmy Puffers

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Information' started by irr0001, Jul 13, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

I was at my LFS the other day looking around on the freshwater side and told the owner i wanted something more interesting in my 10 gallon planted tank..he made a few suggestion then mentioned these pygmy puffers

Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Indian Dwarf Puffer

I did some research on them when I got home and came to the conclusion i could put a few in my 10 gallon. The biggest thing that i can see being a problem is their aggression..but i think the general rule for them is 5 gallons for the first and 2-3 gallons per other fish..and the tank has to be heavily planted or filled with decor so set up different areas for each fish..i have quite a few plant and driftwood so I think i'll be okay..I went with 3. The other thing is they're really messy so 50% water changes weekly are suggested. They will be here tomorrow so I took my tetras back to the store and got my tank all cleaned up for them! they're also the only puffers AFAIK that require zero salt in the water..they are also supposedly very personable and watch your every move. I'm pretty excited!!

Not really asking for anything i guess..just sharing! But if anyone has ever kept these little guy let me know! I want to soak up as much info as I can!

2. Click Here!

3. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

yeeeaah that's what i figured..nobody..lol oh well

4. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Never even heard of them... sorry! I did do a quick google, and the only thing I came across that you don't already have up are quite a few reports of them jumping, so that might be something to keep in mind if you dont have a good lid.

5. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

glad you told me that..i have an open top..but luckily i have some eggcrate and screen layin around so i'll whip up a top tomorrow

6. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

heard of them and thought about keeping them, but never got around to it.

7. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

just remember with any puffers you need hard foods for their teeth. If they don't reseive food such as snails *as large as their eyes* their teeth will overgrow and eventually kill them as with overgrown teeth they can not eat. Most puffers are aggressive but each have their own personality but i do believe your lfs is right and the pygmy can be in groups. And make sure you have LOTS of plants and change your decor often as all puffers get bored easily and swim up and down the tank when bored.

8. Click Here!

9. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

thanks! So far the only thing i have gotten them to eat is blackworms..there are snails in the tank but they haven't touched them..I'm going to keep experimenting with different foods though..I have three in my 10 gallon along with an oto catfish..it's pretty cool how they each have their own "room"..very entertaining little critters to watch

10. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

i love my green spotted puffer. It took me FOREVER to get this guy to eat. When he was small i was able to get him to eat dried plankton, now he eats bloodworms and that's the only thing that he takes now. I no longer have a freshwater setup so i don't give mine snails anymore, but i own fire belly toads, and i give those guys crickets so i' just give my puffer crickets to wear down his teeth and he loves them and it works.