Dustin's 75 Build

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by DustyE, Feb 23, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DustyE

DustyE Fire Worm

I'm finally getting to do a small upgrade from a 55 to a 75 gallon tank. My lfs had a big anniversary sale over the weekend and had aqueon 75's for $75. I also picked up some sand and a few pieces of dry base rock while they had it 20% off.
    My original plan was to use a 75 that a friend gave to me, but the glass support across the top of the tank was broke. The glass shop gave me an estimate of $40-$50 for the glass so I thought another $25 was worth it for a new tank.
    I'm going to drill the tank for a herbie overflow and try to find a cheap 29 gallon tank to replace my acrylic sump so I can have everything plumbed and ready to go to make it easier since the 75 is going where the 55 is right now.
    I have the frame for my stand built and the plywood and trim bought so I should have it ready to stain tonight.
    I just replaced the bulbs in my t5 fixture so I'm gonna keep it for a while but I'm planning on upgrading my lights to led later.
    I'll post updates and pics as things progress.

Last edited: May 18, 2014
  2. Click Here!

3. DustyE

DustyE Fire Worm

Well I guess I can post a couple of shots from my current setup since I don't have any pics of the 75 build worth posting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

sounds like you have a great plan in mind! what are your future plans for the 75?

1 person likes this.
  5. DustyE

DustyE Fire Worm

I was thinking about making it a sps dominated tank but the more I think about it I think I'm gonna keep it a mixed reef. I love to look at tanks full of sps but I don't think I want the extra work that goes along with maintaining them.

6. DustyE

DustyE Fire Worm

Well things aren't going as fast as planned. I finally got most of my stand finished tonight. I still have to build the doors and prep everything for stain. I'm trying to decide what to do for doors. I was thinking about trying to do raised panels, but the material is going to cost more and I will probably have to buy some router bits. My other option is getting some more birch plywood and make some trim to go around that.:-/

Here is what I have got done so far.

[​IMG]

7. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

got some tools and skill, looks real good.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. DustyE

DustyE Fire Worm

Thanks Chris.
    I wish I had the tools. I've been doing this at my parents garage using a lot of my dad's stuff.

10. DustyE

DustyE Fire Worm

Little by little this thing coming together. I had some scrap acrylic that my lumber yard had given me when I built my sump a few years ago and knew I that someday I would have a need for it. Well today was the day. I whipped up this overflow box after I got off work today.

[​IMG]

I need to order my hole saw and bulkheads. I'm planning on using 1 1/2 inch drain lines would 1 inch bulkheads work or should I drill for 1 1/2 in bulkheads?
    Right now I'm running a mag 7 but I'm wanting to go with a mag 9 or a dc pump to increase my flow.

11. DGegg

DGegg Astrea Snail

looking good man!

12. DustyE

DustyE Fire Worm

Things are starting to move along again. Drilled my holes for my overflow and return lines today. This was the first time I drilled an aquarium so I was a little nervous, but it went great.

Here is a pic of one of the jigs I made to start my holes.

[​IMG]

Drilling away

[​IMG]

I haven't made any more progress on my stand I started making an end table about the same time I bought the tank and the weather has been too cold to stain until a few days ago so I've been working on it. I have one more coat of urethane to put on and it will be done and I can focus on the stand again.