"Duct Seal"

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by omard, Jun 29, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

For those that do not know about, "Duct Seal" is a very malable, sticky, waterproof, putty-like stuff, that does not harden.

Comes in a small brick and can usually be found at any hardware store. Home Depot has it for about $1.50 a 1lb brick...

In center of pic below...

[​IMG]

Anyway, is ideal for sealing up and waterproofing electrical cord ends going into power strips, etc. (of which we all have at least a dozen or more...maybe some of us twice that...:p).

Can even cover up unused plug ins on power strip by first covering holes with a small piece of plastic wrap, then covering whole thing with the seal.

Is very easy to mold, just like playdoh but stickier.

A little goes a long way, but best thing I have ever come across for protecting outlets and connections from possible water contact.

Had great fun this afternoon sealing up every electrical connection within 10 feet of my aquariums...;D

2. Click Here!

3. jbaker

jbaker Feather Duster

Is that the same thing as Plumbers putty? Could it be used in the tank to stick rocks & stuff together?

4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Not sure what you are using this for ? But if you go to a refrigeration Supply house even Granger on line and look for Press tape it sticks and we use it to seal a few joints for speed and its also use on the suction refrigerant lines for refrigerators and A/C and even on Cars under the hood to keep the lines from sweating of condensation . But what Ormard showed is not plumbers putty totally different materials and uses . Also you can get a paint one duct seal .

But yes that will do great for the capillary sensor to the sump insulation Scott

5. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Key to this stuff (duct seal) is that it does not harden over time...easily pulled off when need be...

That is what makes it perfect for sealing up power cord connections, unused power strip outlets...any metal surfaces near tank that you do not want exposed to salt water...

Once started using it, had to go down and get another brick as found so many places where it could be put to use around tanks...

Would not recommend putting in tank anywhere without sealing up as no telling what metals may be in it...

Tangster...I did seal up thermostat sensor with it...but then covered that with regular plumber's putty so not exposed directly to water in tank...:-/

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Saltwater will not harm it , I used it all the time on chillers for large commercial systems that would condensation all over the place . Last week I was thinking about a controller remember I asked you about what you had , that had a probe in the water for less then 150.00 :) I have a chiller controller But its not the dual action one just a chiller . I ran up on a old titanium heater controller .. I found a 120 V coil SPDT relay and set the control to activate that and then a Receptacle box with a 16 am receptacle and the relay activates that and I have the heater plugged into the one that will activate when water get .5 below set minimum and then the other plug in is activated when the temps gets 1.0 above the cut off of the controller then that starts the fans and I have one up here wired to the circuit and I'll wire another over the sump in the basement soon. But the heater controller does both things now. .

7. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Info on "Duct Seal" wrapping:

"Gardner Bender"

"Duct Seal (Sello deconducto)"

"Seals conduit openings against drafts, dust, moisture and noise"

"Non-hardening"

"Adheres to metal, wood, plastic, rubber and painted surfaces"

(as I said above, it is pretty sticky stuff. But works great for desired result.)

8)

With many fish it is very difficult to really appreciate their beauty until you can see them slow down or take a "swimming break" or so you can get a good view of it, or better yet a photo.

While a Sixline Wrasse (Pseudocheilinus hexataenia) is a truly pretty fish when you can take a close look at it (which is generally pretty difficult as it is usually whizzing around tank at a very fast clip - but does take pauses often enough get a clear view or photo)...

[​IMG]
    (Reddish face with same color lateral lines seperated by blueish lines, all blending into a lime green colored tail end and fin.)

...but its coloration is almost "plain" when compared to its close "cousin" the "Four" or "Twelve" Line wrasse - (Paracheilinus tetrataenia) ( As stated above, it is called a Four Line Wrasse if only main lateral lines are counted. Is called a "Twelve Line Wrasse" if the thin colored stripes on either side of main four lines are counted.) is really an incredible beauty...:eek:

While habits much the same as the Six Line, the Four/Twelve Line is much more skittish and only makes periodic mad dashes out in open from safety of rock. It also may spend long periods hidden away completely from view, almost always if/when anyone approaches front of tank. Making it very difficult to see or get a picture of. (I would guesstimate about two hours of sitting with camera and taking about 100 pics before capturing a halfway decent photograph.) You never know where it is going to pop out from, or which direction it is going to go for a very short exposure to open tank - even at feeding times - and when out in open, it is in high gear the whole time :-/)

But once you do, what you see is really astounding!!!:eek::eek::eek:
    (these pics are not "photoshopped" - all natural pigments.)

[​IMG]
    A literal "Rainbow" of different colors!!!

[​IMG]
    Almost florescent blue lateral lines, trimmed with dark blue or purple ones. Deep blue fins, gradually turning to light blue, then trimmed with bright red. Green belly, going from a fairly light green to dark green from front to rear.

[​IMG]
    Different colored lateral lines all blend together at purple tail (which is trimmed in dark green)

[​IMG]
    The front of fish is highlighted by a very bright florescent blue stripe along throat. Green underneath and a blue lower front fin. Reddish head and same "striped" eyes as a Six Line.

Really is a blaze of glorious color when out tripping around tank...but without pics, you really would never know.

(well worth the extra searching for and extra expense if in market for a "lined wrasse") ;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008