DT's Phyto Question

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Jay, Dec 18, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

Hey everyone. Its really storming here in Vancouver Wa right now.

My question is whats the best time to dose Phyto? Is DT's the best to use?
    My main question is when I dose Phyto do I turn off my skimmer for a while afterwards? How long to leave it off? How often should I dose in a 60 gallon softcoral/LPS dominated tank? I have about 25 corals ranging from Zoonathids to Cup corals and Colts to SPS and LPS. I have not been turning off my skimmer off.

Jay

2. Click Here!

3. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

Bumpity Bump Bump Bumpity Bump Bump

4. My2heartboys

My2heartboys Fire Worm

Jay, not sure about the answer to your question--can only tell you what I did. I did not turn anything off--just dumped it in and went. If you look on the back of the bottle, you should find out how many capfuls per # of gallons.

I happen to have an old bottle of it here....5 ml per 15 gallons and slowly increase this amount to double this amount for clams and more densely populated aquariums with phyto eating organisms.

Does not say anything about turning filters off.

Anne

5. GraviT

GraviT Coral Banded Shrimp

Back when I used phyto, I would turn my skimmer off for about 2 hours in the morning and feed the tank. I have since stopped using it as I feel like it's just another source of phosphate that I can do without.

6. Trickman2

Trickman2 Bristle Worm

I never turn off anything...But one cool tip for you. You can actually start your own culture with DTs Phyto

7. My2heartboys

My2heartboys Fire Worm

Details---please do share.

Thanks,

Anne

8. Click Here!

9. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

Thats cool. I have been reading about it quite a bit. Im gonna start a culture this week.

Heres a link for some info. Also Garf had a page where he had all these plastic bags thumb tacked to to a wall with all this green water bubbling but I cant find that page with the instructions.

http://www.melevsreef.com/phytoplankton.html

Jay

10. Trickman2

Trickman2 Bristle Worm

11. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

You can start a culture with DT's but in the end you will only end up with one species of algae do to competition. It is still good but I didn't want you to think you would still have the 4 species blend 3 months from now with a culture.