DT's live Phyto

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Beamerhack, Jan 14, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ALW

ALW Sea Dragon

I use a capful Twice a week and I have no problems. I am running a skimmer and a hefty fuge though.

2. Click Here!

3. scenario1313

scenario1313 Tassled File Fish

When adding to the tank are the skimmers to be turned off. I got some dt's phyto to try and was wondering if I need to take the polishing foam out as not to collect in there and should the skimmer be turned off as well.

4. ALW

ALW Sea Dragon

That sounds to be a more efficient way to use them but I just pour it in without turning the skimmer off.

5. reefer Bob

reefer Bob Montipora Digitata

I do it both ways. Once a week I shut the tank down except lights and feed phyto and coral food together and in between week I will shoot it in power head for like a snack. Sometimes I also do it at night to feed acans when tentacles come out.

6. infamous

infamous Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Marine snow is much better than DT Live Phytoplankton.

The sizes are much smaller in marine snow and it doesnt stink like phyto.
    I see a huge bloom of copepods when i use the marine snow.

7. Glaekenn

Glaekenn Astrea Snail

I'd have to say this is completely false. Need proof? Go to DT's site: DT'S PLANKTON FARM - Natural Reef Diet Oyster Eggs & Live Marine Phytoplankton

At the top of the page is a flashing link to an actual scientific published journal article comparing all sorts of commercial foods used for filter feeders. In summary, the article proves that DT's is second only to fresh cultures of Isochrysis galbana, which is not an option for you or I. So in essence, DT's is the best. Take a look through the article - if you don't want to read it all then just take a peek at the graphs and growth rates using different foods.

That is pretty much all the proof you need that DT's is a great choice for your filter feeders, regardless of what naysayers have to say. It must be refrigerated properly, usually at the coldest temperature your fridge can go to, and should be mixed/shaken a couple times a week. It doesn't last forever, which is why you get a bad smell from it after a while, but as long as you follow the directions properly you'll be fine.

People saying it's bad food because it smells either didn't store it properly or haven't replaced it. It is a live food, so it doesn't last forever.

8. Click Here!

9. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

I agree with everything said except for the Smell part, The reason it smells like a sewer is because there are a mix of 3 different kinds of Phyto in the bottle. When you do this they tend to fight and kill each other off and the dying and rotting ones are responsible for the smell.

Take a new bottle of DT's and a 3 week old bottle of any of the 3 Phyto 2's, Nannochloropsis sp, Isochrysis sp., Tetraselmis sp. and you will not smell anything like what you smell coming out of the DT"s. Now I am not saying that DT'S is bad, in fact I have used it in the past but now all I used is Phyto 2.

10. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

An update to my use. After using DT's, my coralline algae has turned green and is starting to overtake my pink coralline. I'm not sure if it's related, but all my coralline was pink and purple and has only started to grow green after using the phyto.

11. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Marine snow is zooplankton no?

12. ALW

ALW Sea Dragon

That sounds like a coincidence. If you really suspect the DTs then stop the DT's for a month and see if there is any change. Take pics to have something to compare it to.