Resolved DT is overflowing!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by mdbostwick, Aug 1, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

So I come home to a dripping sound and a wet living room floor!

So far as i can tell there is nothing preventing my overflow box from draining but as soon as the return pump is on it overflows immediately.

I have had it dialed in and running for months and to my understanding the pump shouldn't be improving its gph and should only diminish over time.

Any suggestions on what to look at?

2. Click Here!

3. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Does it drain when the pump goes on?

4. mdbostwick

it is draining. just too slow for the pump. the overflow has 2 drains both with a gurglebuster which i just took apart and have no obstructions.

5. mdbostwick

And by too slow i mean it is almost overflowing by the time i get from my sump room to the DT running. I tested it and barely made it back to stop the pump.

6. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

About the only thing that makes any sense to me is that there is some decrease in the drain capacity. I think it's very unlikely that the pump would have increased its flow, at least to the point of causing an overflow.

7. mdbostwick

i know it is siphoning fast enough into the outer box, i know there is no obstruction in the drains themselves. I had a filter sock on the return at the sump and removed it just incase it was decreasing the flow there but nothing preventing it there either.

The entire drain pipe is 1.5 inch diameter to the sump. I haven't changed anything in that respect and that is the only part of the drain i can't inspect visually. nothing larger than about 1/4 of an inch around can get through the gurglebusters which are clear of obstructions.

8. Click Here!

9. mdbostwick

What could cause a decrease in the drain capacity?

10. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

I had a similar problem and after I cleaned out the U pipe that goes over the top the problem was solved. Do you have a ball valve from the return pump? Have you tried turning that down to see what happens?

11. mdbostwick

i have a gate valve. So i did turn it down about half a turn. It is draining fast enough now and I think there may be an issue with air getting into the drain, too much or too little. I am not sure if you are familiar with a gurgle buster but it basically closes off the top of the tube going into the drain and it takes it in from the sides and has a hole in the top with a airline going into it. It seems maybe this is needing to be adjusted for how much air it allows into the drain but i am not sure if it needs more air or less.

This is only a theory.

12. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

No I'm not familiar with that type of drain. Where is the desert rat now that you need him?:D How long is the drain that goes to the sump? Do you have a way to roter rooter that just to be sure?