dry rock

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by helwidcha, Sep 13, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. helwidcha

helwidcha Flamingo Tongue

Hello people I got my order of 50 lbs dry rock today and just stuck it in my 50gal DT lol I read I need I think 2 to 3 lbs of rock per gal I may be wrong but I was thinking I needed 100 lbs but I don't think another 50lbs will fit lol anyways what do yall think? and sand will come latter I hope :p

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I think that is perfect. No hard and fast rules on how much rock. Old standard used to be 1-2lbs/gal. I am not a huge fan of rock piles, so as long you have enough to establish a nice biological filter you're good to go.

4. Zero_Dude

Zero_Dude Fire Shrimp

It's 1.5-2 pounds per gallon. When you have your sand and water in there, you'll see how empty it really is :p I have about 90 pounds in my 90G and I still don't think it's enough. You may want extra rock to place coral on, or to provide tunnels, caves, etc to fish. Or you could always just keep it how it is so that they have extra swimming room

5. helwidcha

Ty corailline. I just hope it will be enough filtration. Zero I don't plan on having ALOT of fish maybe 4ish lol so what if I was to break the rock to smaller pieces ? then another batch of 50LBS could be added..just a thought ...anyways im happy my ammonia is 0.50 today down from 8.00 for the past two weeks lol still no skimmer , real overflow box and lighting I don't want to even go there lol

6. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I think it looks great!

7. helwidcha

Ty oldfishkeeper . but what do yall think about the sand bed ? if I go 2" that's a lot of rock foot print on the sand..is that bad? I read you want as little flat spots as you can get. but basing the rock on the glass bottom and building sand around it would that make any difference?

8. Click Here!

9. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

What rock is that and where did you purchase it from? I'm getting ready to order some.

10. helwidcha

I got the rock from https://www.marcorocks.com its was fast ground shipping from the bottom of Florida to middle ala ordered Wednesday. its VERY porous rock

11. Zero_Dude

Zero_Dude Fire Shrimp

Well, the archways you have are pretty big. Some smaller fish like small holes to go through. Those arches look like they can fit fish 3" high. What you COULD do is take one of your rocks, mash it up to pieces ranging from a small cherry to a about twice the size of a ping pong ball (obviously the pieces don't have to be round), and set up a rock rubble pit somewhere in your tank for a safe place for pods to reproduce. I don't know if you were planning on getting any hermits, but mine really enjoy the rock rubble, and often scale the bigger rocks, sometimes even in groups of three. It's interesting to watch.

Also, did you paint the back of your tank? Are the PVC and such inside or outside the tank? If they're on the outside, you could paint the tank, or paint a cardboard and fasten it to the back. Or if the PVC and stuff are inside, you could use rocks to hide it.

You don't need more rock, but it could be useful to have more

12. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Just go for a light amount of sand like about 1 to 1 1/2 inches. If you're going to have bottom dwellers then you'll want the rock to sit on the glass. Just my .02. I actually like Zero's idea about making a rubble pile (thinking I might do that myself) that would look nice in your scape.