Dry Rock Questions

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Camkha1234, Dec 9, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

Okay, so I have some dry rock that I'm planning on cycling and putting in my tank. I've heard that first you need to soak the rock to expel the phosphates from the rock. If I do this, should I soak the rock in fresh or salt water? Once I start, will I need to periodically perform water changes? How long should I let the rock soak? Thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

I've added dry rock directly to existing tanks many times with just a simple rinse to remove dust, and have never had any issues. Dry rocks should not contain phosphates or anything else unless they came from a sorely neglected system. However, if you want to soak them and test for phosphates/nitrates just to be safe, salt or freshwater will work. Leave in container with a powerhead for one week, then test. If everything is zero, you're good to go. If, however, you do get a reading on anything, replace the water and repeat until you get clean test results. If tests are too high, I'd suggest an acid bath to speed things along.

1 person likes this.
  4. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

Thanks! I'll soak them for a week and see how it goes :)

5. Triplemom

Triplemom Pajama Cardinal

Ditto here! Always rinse, though, or you can have one heck of a dust storm! I usually dunk mine in some RO water.