Dry rock for a reef tank??

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by SaveTheReef, Aug 7, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SaveTheReef

SaveTheReef Astrea Snail

Went to the LFS and put $ down on a pre-drilled 90 gallon. I am seriously considering putting in marco rocks dry rock unless I win the Lotto tonight. My goal is to build a lovely reef tank.

Should I put 100 lbs of dry and add some cured LR (that I am going to have to re-cure at home) or can I skip the LR? Planning on using 100 - 120 lbs of live sand. (Rationale - wont see the coralline anywho...)

I have a 55 hexagon I got from a friend that is in process now. Looking good except that I believed my LFS... crazy me. Scrubbed and did 50% water changes for a couple of weeks. The remaining die off is being eaten by blue legged hermits. (Same store that sold me a sand sifting star fish).

I will muddle through the issues in the 55. I want a better start to my brand new 90 though.

2. Click Here!

3. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Yes you can use dry rock. That's how most people do it as the live stuff cost is so much. All rock will eventually become live.

To spread coraline, you can just add a few pieces of live rock with 95% dry rock.

4. SaveTheReef

SaveTheReef Astrea Snail

Thank you Seano. I hope to chronicle my new start up with saltwater here once I get started.

That is an enormous savings! Its not going to be cheap, but what habits are? ;D

To spread coraline, you can just add a few pieces of live rock with 95% dry rock.[/QUOTE]

5. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

80% of my rock came from Marco Rocks The finest aquarium rock available, base rock, live rock, reef rock, marco rock, reef tank saltwater fish, live corals, Marco rocks, Fiji live rock, Tonga Live rock
    the coraline hitchhiked in on a few hermit crabs and my first few corals.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For those of you joining us that are new to the hobby - the best piece of advice you'll get around here as a saltwater newbie is 3Reef's slogan
    "Go slow, let it grow."
    And for those experianced hobbyists joining us - it's still good advice :p
    good luck and post pics soon :)

Here are a few threads for you to read, then come back and ask about anything you still don't understand. we'll get you squared away and on the right path :)

http://www.3reef.com/forums/new-hobby/how-setup-saltwater-aquarium-89044.html

http://www.3reef.com/forums/new-hobby/ultimate-newbie-guide-86462.html

http://www.3reef.com/forums/reef-aquarium-articles-how-tos/all-about-sumps-filters-fuges-79852.html

http://www.3reef.com/forums/protein-skimmers/all-about-skimmers-skimmers-skimmer-85389.html

http://www.3reef.com/forums/general-reef-topics/handy-research-links-89299.html

6. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

Personally thats the only way to start a tank. That way you don't end up with bunches of stuff you don't want.

7. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Hitchhikers are always a cool addition. Well, when they don't screw up your tank that is.::)

8. Click Here!

9. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

Yeah, tell my buddy that, the one that just took his 120 down after fighting a really bad case of byprosis for the last 3 years! Bought some live rocks from a place in Tampa and it took about 2 months and you couldn't see the rocks throught that sh1t!

10. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

Go with all dry rock. You don't need to seed with live rock as it will become live rock on it's own. Any live rock you buy could be a potential disaster waiting to happen. I've seen quite a few Florida Cerith's come in with pink, green, and purple coralline on them when I've gotten them from Reefcleaners.org. That's all the seeding you'll need.

11. SaveTheReef

SaveTheReef Astrea Snail

I am a major advocate of going slow. The LFS's around here are in a hurry for me to jam my tank full ASAP. This weekend was the busiest I have seen them in 3 years.

With using dry rock and live sand in a predrilled tank with sump/fuge, should I follow liveaquaria.com on the set up schedule? It seems awfully aggressive and the opposite of what I have seen a lot of reefers suggest.

Reef cleaners week 4 (after curing LR)
    Easy corals week 6
    Aquacultured corals week 8
    Fish and inverst week 10 and 12.

Seems awfully quick unless it is because of the fuge and sump with the LR/LS stabilizing readying the tank more quickly?

12. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

In those cases they are counting on your live sand (waste of money in my opinion) seeding the tank fast enough to cycle the tank quickly. when I started my tank all dry sand and rock the full cycle took 9 1/2 weeks and then I added a CUC and stocked the fuge over the next few weeks.
    Once you reach that point you can start adding 1 or 2 hardier fish every 2 to 3 weeks and a few corals. By the time you reach the 6 month mark you can petty much add corals at will, fish should still be added in small groups at a time with several weeks between additions.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010