dry live rock vs reg. live rock

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by justinian, Mar 24, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. justinian

justinian Astrea Snail

is ther a big difference between dry live rock and live rock?

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

yes = water

I dont think there is such a thing as dry live rock
    there is dry rock or sometimes called base rock
    which is sold dry , been out of water for some time and any life forms would have died off and decayed

Live rock is sold wet, and thus has preserved aquatic life forms on it (some you want, some are indifferent and some you dont want)

Steve

1 person likes this.
  4. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

+k.

Very well put, Steve.

If I may add something you taught me in my very beginning:

You can buy dry/base rock and stick it in your tank with your already live rock. This will, over a period of 3 to 6 months make the Dead rock you purchased for a buck a pound, full of bacteria like the live rock you pay $5 a pound or more at your local fish store.

- Mag.

5. pecco22

pecco22 Peppermint Shrimp

in terms of the rock itself, no they are the same thing. Dry rock or base rock, is basically dead. the bacteria needed to filter the water is not present yet. Most people will start with dry base rock and add a piece or two of "live" rock. these pieces of live rock will seed the other rock with the bacteria needed. The advantage to using base rock and seeding it is, no pest come along for the ride. the negative is that you have to wait for the rock grow the bacteria and look pretty....lol

6. justinian

justinian Astrea Snail

ok new question, where can i get some good live rock i dont have to pay out the butt for? just about every place iv looked they want a good chunck of cash for then i have to pay double for shipping....

7. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

reefcleaners.org has bry base rock for 2.50 a lbs. i would go with Dry bse rock personally, its less of a hassle in the long term with stuff like aiptasia and eunicid worms, mantis shrimp (i know there cool but can be a pain) adn various other organisms that are bad for your tank. just my 2 cents.

8. Click Here!

9. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Yeah, I got the wet live rock when I started.....I had about 60 crabs (mostly all were gorillas) I had to remove from it. Took about 6 hours and a turkey baster to do that.

On the plus side, it's loaded with fanworms, spaghetti worms, some bristleworms, a couple snails, a few tunicates and a couple sponges, about 3 pistol shrimp, 2 porcelain crabs, and had a decent coralline coverage from the day I got it.

It has barnacles all over, but I'll leave those in the "indifferent" category....they look awesome since there's so many, but it makes the rocks hard to handle as they're covered in pure sharp edges.

Now that the "hassle" of the aquacultured rock is over, I believe it was the better option, as the diversity of life in the tank is much greater than it would be if I bought dead rock. Just my 2c.

10. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

www.reefcleaners.org dry rock is some very good looking stuff. $2.50 lb and free shipping.
    Use dry rock for the main aquascape and then go to your LFS and hand pick a few pounds of good live rock and add it your 'scape. The coralline, bacteria and "life" on the rock will seed all of your rockwork in a few months time.

11. justinian

justinian Astrea Snail

12. campingmonts

campingmonts Plankton

Dont know if anyone has used these guys before but justliverock.com has what lokes to be some nice rock. I have been looking at them for some rock I am planning to buy in the next couple of months to set up a 30g office tank.