Dry Food for Orchid Dottyback?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Astrick117, Sep 12, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

Hey Everyone,

I'm going to be away for extended periods during Thanksgiving and Christmas and I won't have anyone at my house that can feed my fish. I have an auto-feeder, but it only dispenses dry foods.

SO...I'm trying to find a dry food that my orchid dottyback will accept when I'm on vacation. I currently feed frozen mysis and sometimes frozen chopped seafood.

However, when I try flake food, my dottyback won't eat it. Everything else eats Formula One w/ garlic like champs. I've also tried Spectrum small fish pellets and while the dottyback plays with it for a while, it won't actually eat it.

Any suggestions or is there an easy way to autofeed frozen food?

Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I'm not sure that can be done.....hopefully someone will chime in. Is there anyone that could possibly keep the fish for you while you're gone?

4. OnlyTono

OnlyTono Spaghetti Worm

I like the fact you're thinking about this early. You have the time to work with the fish and try to move him to the pellets gadually.

Try melting a few pellets in the mysys when you'r thawing it out.

A few days later, do a short soak with the small fish pellets in the mysis water and try feeding both for a few feedings.

Then, gadually move to just mysis soaked pellets. If he'll eat that then try just dry pellets.

5. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

Yea, I try to plan ahead as best I can. I'll try this approach and see if i can get him to switch over. Thanks for the idea!

6. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

Any thoughts on using freeze-dried mysis?

7. OnlyTono

OnlyTono Spaghetti Worm

That's a good idea - I didn't even know they made freeze-dried Mysis. Not sure I ever even looked for it.

8. Click Here!

9. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

Yea, I didn't think of it initially, but I was looking for carnivorous foods to try the mysis juice soaking idea and it popped up. Omega One makes a freeze-dried mysis, so I think I'm going to try that.

10. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

Freeze-dried Mysis for the WIN!!!

I just put a pinch in the tank and it is the first time I've ever seen any of my fish swim to the surface to eat floating food. They normally just sit and wait for it to sink then get it.

The dottyback ate like a champ- problem solved ;D

11. OnlyTono

OnlyTono Spaghetti Worm

very cool - I'll have to keep that in mind should ever need to leave the tank without a tank sitter