DrTim's Introduces NP-Active Pearls

Discussion in 'DrTim's Aquatics' started by DrTim, Sep 10, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DrTim

DrTim 3reef Sponsor

Hello All:

We're at MACNA in Des Moines and are introducing our new NP-Active Pearls -- a form of biodegradable carbon polymer. How we are different is that we're being up front with what the polymer is, who makes it and where it's made. Plus we'll have research data and papers on using the NP-Active Pearls up our the website soon. The web site is www.npactivepearls.com.

Here is a short video of the pellets in a CPR reactor.

Our pearls are 100% PHA (poly-hydroxyalkanoates) made in the USA (Iowa) by Telles which is a joint venture between a MIT spin-off called Metabolix and Archer Midland Daniels (ADM). They produce the PHAs using corn sugar and genetically modified bacteria. The bacteria produce the PHAs as a way to store energy for future use. By optimizing the process the PHAs can be harvested in large quantities.

Working with Telles and our partner Aquaculture Systems Technologies (AST) we've brought to market a new PHA based polymer that has been extensively tested in aquaculture system in both traditional denitrification systems and heterotrophic assimilation of nitrate and phosphate which is a safer method for use in home aquaria.

The benefits of our bio-polymer include:

Pure PHA with no fillers, binders or other chemicals added
    Made in the USA by a reputable partnership in a sustainable manner
    Certified ASTM marine biodegradable
    Scientifically tested in aquatics applications by AST

We recommend using 3 ml of pellets per gallon of aquarium water. Start with 1/3 of the needed amount and add more over 2 to 3 weeks. Also the NP-Active Pearls will be consumed overtime (6 to 9 months) so you should periodically replenish the Pearls. Don’t wait for them to completely disappear before adding more.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Well, you don't get better than that! That sounds like a really great product. Knowing exactly what's in it, where it comes from and how it's produced really leaves no doubt that it will be top quality :thumb_up: Look forward to seeing the research data too :)

4. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Looking forward to hearing more. Dr. Tim is known for quality products backed with research! Looking forward to more data.

5. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

I saw this stuff in person today in MACNA, looked good and i got a trial sample. I dont have a reactor at the moment. But i might look into getting one eventually.

6. libog2fish

libog2fish Fire Shrimp

astonshing!

I'll be going with this type for sure seemes like those reactors as we'll look like a good addition to my frag tank....

7. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

After talking with you at length about the crashing issue and why your pellets won't do that near the close of Day 1, I have to tell you that I find it a little ironic that what I won in the raffle that day was Two Little Fishies Phosban Reactor 150 with the pellet upgrade kit.
    I doubt you remember me personally but my biggest concern wasn't the possibility of crash, it was having to purchase a reactor to run the pellets in LOL.

8. Click Here!

9. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Since it is biodegradable, won't it start degrading before the bacteria can use all of the pellets?

10. DrTim

DrTim 3reef Sponsor

Good question. Some pellets do seems to dissolve quickly.

But our are 100% ASTM certified (the only one) Marine Biodegradable means that bacteria will degrade the product. If it were to just start 'dissolving' on its own without any bacterial action that would not be biodegradable and the pellet would not last very long.

In fact the 'problem' some people have is that the NP-Active Pearls last a longer time because they are pure 99%+ PHA while most other types of bio-pellets on the market are up to 40% filler, binders and other things.

More technically - the material does not just fall apart because of the polymer structure of the PHA. The material is made by bacteria in the industrial process. The PHA are, to use an analogy, excess fat the bacteria produce to use as food later (please note this is an analogy PHAs are not fat) but they are energy reserves for later use produced by the bacteria.

Hope this answers your question.

DrTim

11. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

It was a pleasure talking to you at MACNA. I appreciate that you were generous with your time and answered questions. This looks like a very nice product.

12. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Thank you for the info. I enjoy detailed answers and will be ordering some from a supplier. When wil these become available?