Drilling Rock?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Chance, Jun 29, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Chance

Chance Bubble Tip Anemone

Has anyone ever drilled holes in dry/live rock for frag plugs? What are your experiences with this? Tips, info, etc. welcome!

2. Click Here!

3. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

i drill my rock all the time, but i only do it so i can stick acrylic pegs in to hold up the rockwork, im sure it would work for holding in frag plugs as well.

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I have read where it has been done. I suggest using a masonry bit as it is designed for drilling into dense materials similar to live rock.

5. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

well it really depends on the rock, i have marco dry rock so it is pretty porous and the drill bit just slides right through. but other rock may be much harder to drill.

6. Chance

I'm probably going to do it to some dry rock, and I have every tool imaginable at my exposal. And just a quick Q, when you do that to rock to add acrylic plugs, is that to hold rock together?

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Yes and for stability of the stack.

8. Click Here!

9. Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders 3reef Sponsor

I did this during my upgrade. It will not work on the dense fiji rock, but a half inch masonry bit did the trick on most rock, and gave me a ton of spots for frags, which grew into colonies a little too fast, so I did some rearranging, which the holes allow for quite easily.

10. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Did you find anything works on fiji rock?

11. Chance

Sounds like I have another project coming up :)
    can I just find a (clean) porous rock and do the same? I think it would be cool to have black marble or granite rocks with corals all over it!

12. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

A sledgehammer works well;D

Seriously though I tried drilled porous rock before with different bits, chiseling it with a hammer and chisel, cutting it with a hacksaw. If the rock is too dense, you can spend hours trying to accomplish something and the end result will either be it looks like you got nothing accomplished except wasting a ton of energy and time or you end up shattering the rock