drilling bigger overflow

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by NolimitReef, Dec 5, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. NolimitReef

NolimitReef Plankton

Hello

I drilled out a one inch hole in the back glass. I need to make it bigger. I have a bigger hole saw that I want to enlarge the hole with. Do you think I can drill over this existing hole without breaking or cracking the glass?

Thank you in advance.

2. Click Here!

3. elwolfe

elwolfe Coral Banded Shrimp

I can't think of a reason why not. Make a template out of plywood or something though to make sure you keep centered...

4. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

you can also use a dremel with a diamond bit. This is what I always used to drill tanks.

5. NolimitReef

NolimitReef Plankton

Good idea about the template. I do have diamond tipped hole saw for a drill. Does the dremel have a diamond tipped grinder or how do u use it to make a hole. Maybe I can get that and just sand out a bigger hole.

6. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

yeah they have diamond bits and carbide as well. I think it would be safer just to grind the hole out a bit rather than trying to redrill.

7. NolimitReef

NolimitReef Plankton

Just drilled it out with a diamond hole saw and it worked with no problem. I was just worried about cracking but none.

8. Click Here!

9. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

Sweet.......I'm glad to hear it. If you had listened to me, it would have been a bit more work. =)